Spike Conical CF5 vs Flex+....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob_Brewer

Reaction score
Hello all,
OK, I have read of the actual differences between the CF5 and Flex+ on spikes website and here. Trub Dumping/yeast harvesting obviously are advantages of the CF5 over the Flex+ (although i know I could scoop out trub/yeast after racking in the flex+) but I am NOT interested in yeast harvesting as I simply plan to overbuild my yeast starters. So...what value/function, other than already mentioned, does the CF5 have over the Flex+? Both have similar capacity for minimizing oxygen when dry hopping. Both have same absolute volume (7gallons): but CF5 has less deadspace (0.1 gallons vs 0.22gallons (flex+) both when racking arm are pointed down). The biggest advantage of the CF5 over flex+ I potentially imagine is that because the CF5 can dump yeast, when using carb stone to carbonate after fermentation is complete, there is less chances of yeast being re-suspended into solution compared to the Flex+.

for those of you who recently chose the CF5 over the flex+, or vice versa, why did you make this decision? As mentioned above, I am not interested in yeast harvesting, but if trub dumping really helps the beer quality than so be it. I am planning on carbonating within the vessel (CF5 or flex+) vs force carbing in keg.

I am really interested in answers related to the actual quality of beer and NOT the cost of the product or the convenience/ease of cleaning.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I looked into both . I wanted the temp control, extended legs , racking arm , gas manifold ect.... and the price for the flex with all that was too much. That's why I went cf5 . I haven't planned on harvesting yeast but I might . Cleaning is easier when having the dump valve imo.

Ok sorry didnt see your last part as I use my phone . I think you can make beer just as good in the flex as the cf5

@Noob_Brewer, why would you NOT consider cost when comparing same features to features to the extent what the Flex+ offers either as standard or upgrade accessories? The price for the CF5 is only $50 more.

One would think with such a small price difference along with the benefits of dumping the trub (no need to transfer to a second fermenter), having a sample port, having the capability of yeast harvesting (like you, I overbuild my starters), and the ease of cleaning would be reasons enough to buy the CF5 (your time is worth something, right?).

Obviously, the quality of the beer is directly attributable to your process. I believe having a sample port would be beneficial unless you have something like a Tilt. I have and use both. The ability to dump trub is beneficial. In essence, once dumped, you have your secondary fermenter for dry hopping, clarification, flavoring and aging. There is a clear advantage of the CF5 over the Flex+ just with these two features.

FWIW, I have a CF10 and plan on buying another CF10 this summer.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for your input @Jag75 and @CodeSection. It is appreciated. I do agree that cleaning might be considered easier with the dump valve as Jag mentioned. As for cost, I never said I didn't want to consider it. The reason why I stated I was not interested in responses related to cost is because I am already aware of the cost difference and Ive seen others comments on the flex+ related to cost when it was announced. Clarification: the CF5 is not only $50 more expensive, but its $150 more expensive ($525 vs $375). So this extra $150 gives a dedicated sample port and dump valve on the CF5. So the base CF5 is 40% higher than the flex+. So for me - the cost comes down to whether the value of having sample port and dump valve is worth the extra $150. So yes, I have considered it.

Not having a dedicated sample port isn't a deal breaker for me because I can put a sample port onto the butterfly valve/racking arm of the flex+. So for me - it seems the dump port is really the only FUNCTION/PROCESS that the flex+ doesn't have.

I do agree with @CodeSection in that dumping trub/yeast would seem a good thing for beers that need to age more in a SS vessel. I also agree that processes involved will determine quality of beer more than anything too.

What I haven't seen on HBT though are comments from existing flex+ users who have carbed on top of the yeast/trub in the flex+ or who have had other issues/comments related to Flex+ processes/functions.

Thanks again!

I think you'll be happy with either . I think Spike is quality stuff . I dump the yeast on day 7. I'm not sure how much it helps with clearing the beer. For me once I figured on all the accessories I didnt want to pay that much for a flex+.

I have a CF10 and have been looking at the Flex+. One of the big factors for me is the ability to do 15psi fermentations and pressure transfers, and the Flex+ does do that.

There's no thermowell/thermometer with the Flex+, though you could add one, or tape and insulate a temp probe on the side. There's no sampling port with the Flex+, though you could presumably use the thermowell port for that.

It certainly could fit in a small refrigerator and that's nice.

As far as the quality of the beer....with the Flex+ I don't really see any reason why I couldn't brew just as good of beer as with the CF10.

I have the cf15 and do a dump after cold crashing and then add the carb stone. One time I was in a hurry and carbonated prior to dumping and didn't notice any obvious flaws/ difference from my normal process. I know your asking in regards to the flex but I imagine it's the same. Just don't move it obviously. Unimportant side note you may not get many replies in regards to the carb stone as majority don't use it from what ive read. Cheers

...Clarification: the CF5 is not only $50 more expensive, but its $150 more expensive ($525 vs $375)....Thanks again!

I was trying to compare with the same features. I was basing the cost of the Flex ($250) and adding: the high pressure lid bundle ($175), adding the TC Thermowell ($25) and adding a thermometer ($25). That is $525 vs $475. However, I see with the Flex+ the high pressure lid is discounted by $50 (price increase of only $125 rather than $175). So, feature to feature, there is only a $100 difference.

My choice would be the CF5....you just have more options that you may not need now but could use in the future....

I was trying to compare with the same features. I was basing the cost of the Flex ($250) and adding: the high pressure lid bundle ($175), adding the TC Thermowell ($25) and adding a thermometer ($25). That is $525 vs $475. However, I see with the Flex+ the high pressure lid is discounted by $50 (price increase of only $125 rather than $175). So, feature to feature, there is only a $100 difference.

My choice would be the CF5....you just have more options that you may not need now but could use in the future....

oh ok gotcha, yeah for me personally the regular base spike doesn't make much sense at all as its only 2PSI and for that price and NOT getting the unitank advantages, I would rather an anvil bucket to do the same thing. It would be very expensive to start out with the reg spike flex and upgrade to 15PSI and it also doesn't come with the butterfly valve ($50) like the flex+ does. So in the end, Im only considering the flex+ or the CF5 (for both I would also get temp control packages). CF5 has to add the racking arm, but that is standard on the flex+, where you need to buy sample valve on flex+....yada yada lol. All the other accessories (casters/bracing/leveling feet) are really more to tailor the equipment to the brewers personal brew space. The modular approach is nice, but makes cost difficult to compare between brewers as their setups may be different too.

In the end, after I added up everything for the flex+ (leveling feet only, but on a platform without the need to move when full) and CF5 (extended brace), it was over about $200 more for CF5. I'm not unwilling to spend that extra $$$, but was just trying to think what the added value was in terms of function/processes. Both products will fair well for sure as long as humans don't screw it up lol.

I do 10 gal batches and like to split batches for variety. I am planning on 3 flex+’s because it’s supposed to handle 2.5-6 gal in each due to the depth of the chilling coil. So I could do either 2x5 gal batches or 3 3 1/3 gal batches. I don’t believe you can go that low in a cf5.

I do 10 gal batches and like to split batches for variety. I am planning on 3 flex+’s because it’s supposed to handle 2.5-6 gal in each due to the depth of the chilling coil. So I could do either 2x5 gal batches or 3 3 1/3 gal batches. I don’t believe you can go that low in a cf5.
From what I've read on Spikes website, both the CF5 and Flex+ can go as low as 2.5gallon batches but I can't speak to how low the cooling coil goes. I don't think spike would promote 2.5g for the CF5 if the cooling coil didn't reach that low though.

Back