Spicing Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Gators

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of using black pepper to give a beer a little kick? I want to give a beer a "spicier" taste, and I don't mean hot spicy. Has anyone ever heard of anything giving this type of taste to a beer?

Yeah. BierMuncher. Honestly, I'd start playing around with different yeasts and hop varieties first; there are lots of ways to get to "spicy" without, you know... adding spices.

Just sittin' at the 'puter, drinking a spicy farmhouse ale, talkin' on the forums... typical Monday evening :cool:

Saaz is a real nice hop that's well-known for its "spicy" characteristics. Of course, good luck finding any!

Lots of Belgian yeast strains can produce some spicy phenolics, although they can be somewhat temperature-sensitive.

One key piece of advice I just picked up from somewhere - if someone drinking your beer can tell you WHICH spices you used, you used too much. If they say "oooo - black pepper!," you ought to back it down a little.

Back