spiced porter input wanted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a few stouts and a beecave brewery robust porter recently and all the leftovers sort of collected as buying by the kilo is cheaper than buying 100 grams....so trying to create a porter out of this and thinking of adding some spice to set it apart from the beecave porter as not to have too much similar brew at once.

so far I have this:

6 gallon batch:

grain:
munich malt 11 lb
chocolate malt 1 lb
flaked barley .5 lb
roasted barley .1 lb

maltodextrin .6 lb

Hops:
Columbus .34 oz @ 60 minutes
Mandarina bavaria .8 oz @ 20 minutes
Mandarina bavaria .5 oz @ 10 minutes

Thinking of adding at least some star anise, but when and how much?
any other recommendations for spicing?

Since I hate licorice I would suggest a different spice. I have used Coriander once. And orange peel once. Generally I don't like spiced beer, but am considering experimenting, one with cinnamon and another with ginger.

Since I hate licorice I would suggest a different spice. I have used Coriander once. And orange peel once. Generally I don't like spiced beer, but am considering experimenting, one with cinnamon and another with ginger.

Wait a minute, you're not even a fan of reno_nv's Punkin' beer? Blasphemy:D. Not trying to derail the thread but that stuff is good.

Wait a minute, you're not even a fan of reno_nv's Punkin' beer? Blasphemy:D. Not trying to derail the thread but that stuff is good.

I made my Pumpkin ale with pumpkin but no spices. It was really good. Just a hint of pumpkin. When I make it again, a little more pumpkin and still no spices.

Latest posts

Back