Spent grain safe for parakeets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeraW

she/her
Reaction score
Hey all, did a quick search and didn't get much. I'm pet sitting for a few weeks and the budgie parakeets I'm watching over are being a bit stubborn with me. I wonder if I could bribe them with some spent grain? Anyone know if there's any issues with that?

I tossed some out back once, but all those Starlings & Cardinals hardly touched it. But a doe with a fawn seemed to enjoy it? I imagine a parakeet would enjoy them as much as the rest of us? Which reminds me of a story. When I was still living at home, early 70's, I heard the Middle Eastern folks fed their birds pot seeds to make them sing more sweetly. I then thought, alrighty, let's test that one. Holly did indeed sing up a storm, but eventually fell off her perch & was lying claws up on the bottom of the cage, buzzin' her feathers off for some time after. I later found I gave her too many seeds...:D

parakeets eat the grain not the husk, there is no nutritional value in the husk. Deer are ruminants and might get some food value from spent grain but would also prefer the grain.

Back