Spent Grain for Birthday Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I brewed a beer for my friend's birthday and I saved some of the grain to make spent grain flour. I was wondering if anybody has used spent grain flour to make birthday cake or some other kind of layer cake/cupcake before? Would this even work or is the flour just not suited for this? Thanks so much!

Do you mean you saved some of the malted and un crushed barley?

If so, mill and treat as malted flour http://www.cooksinfo.com/malted-barley-flour

If you're talking about the spent grain after brewing, it is... well... spent. Even if you could dry it, the whole point of the mash is to get the simple carbs out of the grain. Not much left there but the fiber when it's done.

It is incredibly hard to find recipes that use wet spent grains. the grains are required to be dried and made into flour. I tried that once. Never again. I don’t care how good the bread is,I will never try this at home. Drying out the grains in the oven takes hours, if not days. At least, it did for me. Leaving the oven run for several hours costs energy and money, not to mention the energy and money it costs to cool your house from the excessive and prolonged heat source in the warmer months. Then, you grind up the dried grains in a food processor, and you have spent grain flour! The problem is, most recipes you can’t use all spent grain flour, so you still have to include regular flour. And to me, that’s just not worth it. If I wanted a cake made from spent grains, I would order some from custom restaurant's websites. This will save my time and energy.
Anyway my husband wanted me to make it so I made it with a promise that we will never make it at home.

Ingredients:
½ C butter
1 C sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 C cocoa powder
Vanilla extract, to taste
2 eggs
½ C flour
½ C wet spent grains, ground up

Instructions:
To Prepare the Grains:
Put all of the grains into a small food processor (I used my handy-dandy Ninja) or blender and process until it becomes smooth. Add a bit of water at a time if necessary to make processing the grains easier. Don't worry about getting it super-smooth, you just don't want the pieces too big.

Now, the Magic Happens:
Melt the butter, then mix in the sugar and salt
Mix in cocoa powder and stir to combine.
Mix in vanilla and eggs.
Add flour and mix well.
Add processed wet spent grains, mix thoroughly. You can add however much more you would like, just be careful to not overdo because you don't want to get a mouthful of grain husks. Mixture should be runny and liquid.
Pour batter into a greased pan (I used a glass 6 x 8 and it fit perfectly)
Bake 30-45 minutes, until a toothpick come out mostly clean.

It would seem that spent grains would be too heavy, dense, and have too much texture. Cake flour has about 8% protein, AP flour has about 10-11% and barley has 20% or higher. The lower the protein content, the less gluten that is formed and the less gluten, the lighter the cake. Even after they are spent, I'm sure there's still plenty of protein content leftover and additionally the texture would be too "rough" for nice cake, in my opinion.

Back