Spending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Y'all, I have got to stop spending money on equipment for this hobby. I just dropped $200 on a 10 gal Spike kettle (chump change, I know, in the world of brewing equipment). I think that will get me where I want to be for now. Maybe I can let the credit card cool off for a bit. Setting up for kegging will be my next expense, but hopefully not for another couple of years.

I'm intentionally staying away from the all-in-one and electric brewing threads.

$200?

tenor.gif

But at least you're a good sport about it :D

Home brewing is almost like buying a boat to catch fish. If you're really good at it and brew/consume enough, you might break even including amortised cost, vs just driving down to the packy every week...

Cheers! ;)

Setting up for kegging will be my next expense, but hopefully not for another couple of years.
It's inevitable. So better get on the kegging bandwagon early, to maximize your investment. BTW, bottling gets old, fast.
Keep an eye on CL, classifieds, sale items here, etc. Some good deal will come up.

It's inevitable. So better get on the kegging bandwagon early, to maximize your investment. BTW, bottling gets old, fast.
Keep an eye on CL, classifieds, sale items here, etc. Some good deal will come up.
My problem with kegging is that I have to ease SWMBO into it. I have to convince her that putting a kegerator/keezer in the garage doesn't mean that I'm an alcoholic. Baby steps. Baby steps.

My problem with kegging is that I have to ease SWMBO into it. I have to convince her that putting a kegerator/keezer in the garage doesn't mean that I'm an alcoholic. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Promise her a keg of her favorite brew...I have seltzer water and a cider on tap for the Mrs. and she's happy as a clam!

Just tell her you want to make the whole garage a microbrewery and bar. Then a kegrator wont seem like such a big deal.

Just take a super long time bottling and tell SWMBO that if you have a keg, you can drink half pints instead a whole 12 oz. At that point, I don't know how she couldn't agree to let you keg, lol.

Just take a super long time bottling and tell SWMBO that if you have a keg, you can drink half pints instead a whole 12 oz. At that point, I don't know how she couldn't agree to let you keg, lol.
No, get her to help you with bottling. Sweetie, could you... That means help with washing, rinsing, inspecting, sanitizing, filling, capping, waiting 2-3 weeks, refrigerating for a few days... After once or twice she'll ask isn't there a better method? There ya go! Now it was her idea, those are always the best.

No, get her to help you with bottling. Sweetie, could you... That means help with washing, rinsing, inspecting, sanitizing, filling, capping, waiting 2-3 weeks, refrigerating for a few days... After once or twice she'll ask isn't there a better method? There ya go! Now it was her idea, those are always the best.
Now, this idea has some serious merit. So far, she's not been at all interested in helping me brew. She's not a big beer-drinker anyway (*maybe* one per week), so getting her to help me bottle would be a giant step in itself.

A lot of people here say it is not true for them, but I know I save a significant amount of money home brewing, while not compromising the quality of the beer I drink and share.

As for quantity and appearances, the weekly deliveries of two cases of high end beer on porch stood out more than current set up.

$200? I remember my first 2 kegs lol

I keep expanding. It's addicting and love adding to the variety of stuff I have and can do. Just spend it. If you spend it, it will brew more......

I can appreciate the sentiment. It's quite interesting to watch all the gear being bought, made or adjusted for beer making. I still don't know what a quarter of it does or how it works but still interesting.
I've bought a few 7.9 gallon fermenting buckets over the years, some new tubing, Grolsch bottles, made a wort chiller. Everything else was given to me.
My wife happily helps me bottle. If she didn't, I might have considered kegging. I'm an extract w/grains person and I like how simple it is.

I moved last year and was really surprised at the sheer amount of brewing equipment I have acquired. Really puts it in perspective when you have to pick it all up and move it. And I’m still spending. Very recently bought a Tilt Hydrometer for $125 after seeing a discussion of it on here. What a neat little toy that is. I have a whole bookcase full of brewing books. Knowledge and info are always the best investments imho.

Back