Speidel fermenter and refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnitty

Reaction score
I just received my 60L Speidel Plastic Fermenter this past Saturday and put nine gallons of IPA in it the following evening. I think I'm going to love this fermenter for a lot of reasons but one thing I'm not wild about is not being able to see the action. I typically wait until I no longer see visible indication of fermentation before taking SG readings. But I'm not going to be able to see that as easily now.

First, I have peaked by removing the stopper and air lack to confirm that fermentation has started (it has). I will probably do this a few times since I see little risk in removing the air lock and stopper for a few seconds.

Second, can't I use my refractometer to determine when fermentation is complete? I understand that I can get the SG value from a refractometer reading if the starting gravity is known. But can I just simply compare daily brix reading to determine when fermentation is complete? I would love to be able to take smaller samples.

I think if you can get a light behind the fermenter then you may be able to see krausen that has risen. Obviously not so easy to see it fall. I would recommend not opening the fermenter a bunch. You brewed, pitched your yeast (and the correct amount) it is safe to say fermentation has begun. In about 10 days check. If you cannot wait, try 7 days...no less really.

You can use a refractometer but I personally would never recommend it because my experience has been that it was off and less than reliable in spite of conversion calculators I can find online. I also cannot recommend daily brix readings because again, stop opening the fermenter. ;) If you wait then the most you'll need is a few ounces (I usually pull 5-6) and I only do that twice, because I wait. Again, brew, pitch yeast and I come back 10 days later to see where I am at. 4 days after that I check again. No movement from there, I give it a good 7-14 days to let yeast clean up, 7 if I am rushing it.

Back