Specific gravity issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havoc2617

Reaction score
So I am 2 weeks in on my first 5 gallon batch of a traditional mead. My starting SG was 1.104 and as of today my gravity reading is 1.040. The fermentation temperature has been 77-80 degrees.
I used 15lbs of honey and one packet ofLalvin K1-V1116 yeast (the brew supplier told me I could brew a 5gallon batch using only one).
In also added staggered nutrient additions using Fermaid-O over 4 days.

There seems to be plenty of sweetness still left for the yeast.
Should I go and purchase another packet of yeast and add it or am I just being impatient?
Around this time last time my 1 gallon version of this recipe was 15%

You didn't answer my question. For how many consecutive days has it been at 1040?

My suggestion is to measure gravity daily to see if it is changing. Gravity maybe going down slowly. As others said, stirring will help.
If you have your brew stalled, ei stuck at current gravity, adding yeast in my opinion will not help unless you temper new yeast to the current environment which is hard and has low chance to succeed.

Using internet search engine will produce many answers and opinions to your question. For example ;
https://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/15273/mead-stuck-fermentation

I am brand new to brewing but I have done a fair ammount of research. I don't know what recipe you used but I do know yeast has a "green zone" that is happy and productive in, with the right acidity, and SG. Too much sugar, or too much alcohol can stall it... It's been a few weeks. Were you able to save it?

My apologies i have never responded for almost a year. Yes it was for the most part salvaged final alcohol content reached 14%
Lower than I hoped for but still after racking the batch and flavoring 3 different ways it turned out really good.

My apologies i have never responded for almost a year. Yes it was for the most part salvaged final alcohol content reached 14%
Lower than I hoped for but still after racking the batch and flavoring 3 different ways it turned out really good.

right on! not another cancelled TV show without an ending! :mug:

Back