Specific Gravity hasn't changed in a week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obfuskater

Reaction score
5416514891_891872916f_b.jpg

This is my first brew in a very long time. I used an East Indian Pale Ales kit and unfortunately forgot to take an initial Specific Gravity reading.

According to the instructions, the primary fermentation was supposed to take 4-7 days. My first reading was after about 3 days, at which time it was 1.014. After 7 days, the reading was 1.012, and now at 14 days it is still 1.012. This is quite a way off the target mark of 1.005.

The temperature has been a steady 24-26C (75 - 79F) the entire time. The only thing I can think of that might have affected the process is the rubber seal ring. I had to replace this after 24 hours as it wasn't forming a proper seal, which meant opening up the barrel.

So, I'm not sure whether I should bottle it or not. The kit recommended not bottling early as the bottles may explode. It smells OK, and I can see a few tiny bubbles rising still.

So... to bottle or not to bottle, that is my question.

Any thoughts greatfully received.

That sounds about right for a kit, most of those will peter out at around 1.014 to 1.020. As long as it has been steady for three days bottle it up. The seal has nothing to do with this, yeast is living, and we cant control it.

I have found that with some of the kits I've done, my FG is not exactly the same as the source instructions state. Like Deuce says, "about right for a kit..."

Get to bottling and I'm sure the beer will taste great.

Since you never took an OG, you wouldnt have known if your gravity was higher or lower to start with, which would tell you if your FG would be higher or lower.

1.005 seems awefully low for an extract brew unless there's pure corn sugar added to dry the beer out, or some other similar 'more fermentable than extract' adjunct.

How does it taste? If its not 'sweet' I'd bottle it.

It is not sweet, so I'll bottle it.

Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated.

Back