Specific Gravity for Belgium Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSappenf

Reaction score
So I did a partial mash for my ale. My final product had a specific gravity of 1.101 at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. My last brew was on the light side, so I didn't know if this was better.

It's a Belgian ale--a beer style from Belgium. (just a bit of a pet peeve of mine)

As for your question...
1.101 is quite a big beer and depending on what yeast your chose will probably give you a significant body (this will also depend on the source of the fermentables--sugar vs grain). Since we don't know what your last brew was (style, target gravity, yeast, etc.) I cant say whether it is better or worse, just different.

I think this one might be better.... unless it is worse. It's kind of hard to give good advice out of thin air so fill in a few detail. Was this a kit or did you make up a recipe? Did it use extract or was it all grain? What was the expected OG?

What was the specific gravity before the final product? (Just after brewing)

Ah, uh, so it hasn't fermented yet. I did a partial mash. It was a pilsner grain that I mashed for 60 min and then added dried extract. The recipe also called for a pound of brewer's sugar. The specific gravity is right after I put the yeast (wet). Hmmm... Sorry, did that help?

Back