specialty grains for extract "recipe"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikRobers

Reaction score
I am just trying to use all of my leftover/excess beer ingredients to close out 2015. I have one can Munton's Connoisseur's Irish Stout (no-boil, I know), 4 lbs dark DME, almost 2 pounds light DME, some fuggle hops, a pound of Lactose sugar, a pack of Wyeast 1272, two packs of US-05 and about a cup of corn sugar.

As I said, those are all leftovers that I'd just like to use up. I'm just not sure what would be good specialty grains or how much I should use. I'm not trying to create something for a competition, just something that will be good and use the remainder of my ingredients.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if there is a specific flavor profile that I am going for, I just want something with a little more character than Munton's kits offer.

Why are you trying to use up the specialty grains? If they are not already crushed and if they are not stored where it is very humid, they will be good next year too. Whole grains don't degrade very fast.

Why are you trying to use up the specialty grains? If they are not already crushed and if they are not stored where it is very humid, they will be good next year too. Whole grains don't degrade very fast.

I don't have specialty grains, the ingredients I listed are what I have. I was looking to add some specialty grains to enhance the overall product. If I get some good suggestions, I will get the grains and use up the extra ingredients I listed.

I apologize. I misread your post. Maybe I should take reading lessons or at least get a good night's sleep before making replies. :smack:

No worries, man! I figured something was misread. I hope my reply didn't come off *****ey. I'm very... short and factual at times so I worry it might have come off not as I intended. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and input from anyone, even those who misread it. As it is, I learned from you that if I don't crack my grains they'll last a very long time, so I still got something out of it.

From what you describe, I'd say a milk stout is doable! Think Left Hand milk stout. Good stuff! :mug:

I will look for a special grain extract recipe for that. I've heard good things about it, but I've never had it.

I second the milk stout.
that way you can use up all of your dme, lactose, fuggles & s-05
as far as which specialty grains & how much, that's up to you.
do you like your stouts sweet? chocolaty? roasty?
my advice...go to brewersfriend.com, pick your preferred style, input the ingredients you know you have & play around with the steeping grains until you hit all your numbers.

Last edited:
I second the milk stout.
that way you can use up all of your dme, lactose, fuggles & s-05
as far as which specialty grains & how much, that's up to you.
do you like your stouts sweet? chocolaty? roasty?
my advice...go to brewersfriend.com, pick your preferred style, input the ingredients you know you have & play around with the steeping grains until you hit all your numbers.

That's a really good idea. I didn't know about this brewersfriend website. I'm definitely going to go with the milk-stout, and I'll definitely give the website a try. Thanks again.

Go check the Briess web-site and find out what grains are already in the dark extract. You may not need or want any extra grains.

Normally, I would totally agree with you, without question, but I've generally found found most canned kits, including this one, to be somewhat flat in terms of overall flavor, especially in comparison to basically every malt-extract with specialty grains recipe I have been brewed. Well, you make a good point in that I don't want to use something already used in the kit, and you're right. As I typed this and it sunk in it made more sense. Good thinking, and I rescind my previous statement that I was too lazy to delete about not agreeing with you :)

Back