Spaten Optimator - Where Does the Malty Flavor Come From?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not seen the exact recipe for Optimator... that being said I suspect the answer is "yes, Munich malt". My doppelbock grain bill is about 75/25 Munich 10L to 2-row pale, has a pronounced maltiness.

While Spaten almost certainly does decotion mashing, a highly-modified Munich malt will work just fine with a single infusion.

I am not familiar with the taste of Munich alone; however, there is an underlying taste in Optimator and Salvator (from Paulaner). I like the flavor.

Are you aware of any malty or Munich heavy stouts?

I am not familiar with the taste of Munich alone; however, there is an underlying taste in Optimator and Salvator (from Paulaner). I like the flavor.

Are you aware of any malty or Munich heavy stouts?

I'm not. Munich has that distinct "MALTY" taste that screams of malt without being sweet, and I almost never find it in commercial beers.

I use Munich in many homebrews, for a firm malty taste. But never in a stout.

I think I understand that flavor you refer to, ultravista, and the only conclusion I can come up with is that it is a result of the decoction mash. I must also wonder if it comes from the water that is used with the beer. I find a similar flavor in some Samuel Smith beers oddly enough... If you discover what it is, I'd love to know as well! YUM!

I've made munich based stouts. I really like them.

Optimator likely has light and dark munich with caramunich, and possibly dark crystal like caraaroma. It's been a long time since I've had one. I only get Celebrator and Devastator here.

I made a huge stout last year the base was Munich, it tasted awesome. Like mixing a Celebrator with Old Rasputin.

Optimator is a Dobbelbock, so it uses a very large portion of Munich malt. That's where that flavor is coming from. Also a bunch of CaraMunich (caramel flavors)

Latest posts

Back