Sparkling Strawberry Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRueff

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have only been home-brewing for a few years, but this spring I've become more focused on ciders and fruit wines than "beer" proper. I've always really enjoyed good ciders. Doing a bit of browsing, I came across cyser, which instantly piqued my interest -- it had elements of cider, plus the benefit of higher alcohol content. In march (2014) I started my first batch of cyser from 4 gallons of organic apple cider (whole foods brand), and 5.5 lbs of local raw honey. I added some pectic enzyme (because the batch of straight cider i had attempted previously, never cleared, which bothered me) and used Wyeast Dry Mead. Ended up at about 11.2% abv

At present (June, 2014) I've only got one liter of it left. I have really enjoyed it; it's more like a white wine than a cider. And I noticed that the longer it sat (I racked it 3 times) the clearer it became and the better (mellower) it tasted.

So today I started my second batch of cyser; this time, I wanted to tweak a few things. (1) I wanted to add a new flavor. I like strawberries, and they're in season now, so I decided I go with strawberries. (2) I want to try to make this batch be a sparkling (carbonated) cyser, since my last batch was still. Here's my recipe:

---Ingredients---

- 4 gallons pasteurized apple cider (Wholefoods brand, organic - 4 x 1 gallon glass jugs)

- 5.5 lbs local, organic, unprocessed honey (2 x 44 oz. Jars)

- 6 lbs Driscoll's organic Strawberries

- 2.5 teaspoons pectic enzyme

- 1 package Wyeast #4632 Dry Mead

---Procedure---

1. Pour 2 gallons cider into 5 gallon (sterilized) fermenter.

2. Pour half of each of the remaining two, 1 gallon jugs of cider into the fermenter. Pour 1 jar of honey into each half empty jug of cider, cap, and shake vigorously until honey is dissolved, then pour into fermenter.

3. Dump strawberries into a basin of weak iodine solution, to kill off wild yeasts and/or other germs. Then rinse with clean water.

4. Process 6 lbs of strawberries through (sanitized) Brevile juice fountain. Add strawberry juice to cider/honey mixture in fermenter

* initial gravity reading was 1.086

5. Add 2.5 teaspoons pectic enzyme; seal fermenter with air lock

6. After 6 hours, pitch yeast.

-------------------------------------------

As I am new to this, I am really just sort of free-styling here, and would love ANY input, advice, or tips that may be helpful in guiding a budding mead enthusiast. Specifically, if anyone has ever made a similar recipe, has experience fermenting strawberries, or making sparkling cyser would be REALLY appreciated!

Cheers everyone!

T.

Sampled some last night, as a matter of fact, 5 weeks from beginning primary.

Overall, I am pleased with the flavor, color, and clarity, so far. It still has a nice, reddish tint, and I clear enough to read the salt box behind the carboy.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406218631.702321.jpg

I only tried 4 ounces or so, at room temp straight out of the carboy. On tasting, the strawberry is front and center, which is very nice. It's like nothing I've tasted before, very pleased with how the strawberry flavor as survived.

The yeasty-ness is gone, but I must admit, there's a subtle, almost styrofoamy aftertaste. I've never noticed this in my previous cider/cyser attempts, so I'm not sure if it's something specific to the strawberries, or what. It's summer down south, and I'm wondering if my temps were/are a little higher than optimal, causing increased fusels.

From my reading, a 5 week old cyser is young, so I am hoping that this will age out, and leave behind the strong strawberry flavor.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing before? If so, does the aging help?

Thanks

Back