sparkling cider wedding favors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivanavich

Reaction score
I have recently popped the question and am now engaged. 2 days later my fiance says she has an ideah for the favors... My cider in a lil 187ml bottle to each guest at the wedding that drinks. We are planning for april 2010 so i have time to perfect my recipe wich i've done only 4, gallon batches (first 5 gal batch in fermenter).
I did the math for 150 guests and including bottles, wire cage, plastic stopper, foil, ingredients and shipping for everything minus apple juice it equals $300. only thing i'm missing are the labels.

3 questions.
1. What other creative ways are there to bottling a wedding favor?
2. What other ways of creating a wedding favor are cheaper?
3. How illegal is this and more importantly will I go to jail?

IN most states you'll be fine if they are gifts...

What's wrong with bottling your cider in 12 ounce beer bottles with a nice ribbon and a label...or even start drinking (or peddling off to your friends) a few cases of corona bottles and either using starsan or another weak acid to remove the paint on it, then using glass etching paste to etch you and your wife's name on it.

You could also make or buy little hanging doohickeys with beads and wire to hang on the neck...even looking into precious metal clay or fimo to make a memorable tag, but most bead and art supply stores have all manner of interesting things that can be used...cheap.

Or just leaving them plain....

They really are about the same size as a split of champagne...Two wineglass sized servings.

You can even buy avery dots, and design a template and make a nice sticker for on top of the cap with you and your wifes name on it...and print them off at home.

and/ or you can use the bottle hanging tag template that I have in my bottling thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

You can do awesome creativity on the cheap and it would cost you a lot less...especially since you have a whole year....you can accumulate a lot of clear bottles from friends over that time..

You can customize this, the file is in that thread.

Bottle%20tags.jpg

:mug:

My best friends sister and her husband were going to give out wine as favors but the day before they were informed by their reception location that it was against liquor laws to give out wine because they (the reception room) would be held accountable for it (b/c they had the liquor license). I would check with your reception location first before committing 300 bones to it. (This was in New Hampshire--I'm sure it varies by state.)

Melana and I provided beer and Apfelwien for a family members wedding reception this past summer and had no problems. I know it's a long way off but check with the facility you plan on having the reception at before you get into all the work. As Revy said get your friends who drink to hook you up with some bottles and go the smaller route. The money adds up fast and weddings aren't cheap. You'll be surprised at how fast the time will go between now and the planned event.

Thanks for the replies guys. Revvy, I like thatglass etching ideah. I'l make sure it is allowed at the location we have the reception. Another ideah a friend gave me was to use it as the toast instead of the champagne.

Thanks for the replies guys. Revvy, I like thatglass etching ideah. I'l make sure it is allowed at the location we have the reception. Another ideah a friend gave me was to use it as the toast instead of the champagne.

That may be an issue with the hall, especially if THEY are/were providing the booze...you would be cutting into their profits....they may not allow you to provide the toast booze.

My opinion is that it is better to ask forgiveness than permission...I would do these as exiting wedding favors...a nice split, but put them in small sealed gift bags from the dollar store (Like 4 for a dollar)...and put them out later in the evening, near the exit, with a sign that says something like "Thank you for sharing this special evening with us, please take this gift as a token of our appreciation, and please drive safely."

That way...No one hopefully will be opening them in the hall, the sign would be implicitly saying this is a leaving present, and therefore it doesn't look like it's cutting into the hall's profit, nor since it is wrapped will it be likely to be consumed and causing, in the halls eyes a liability issue.

Just a thought. :mug:

Latest posts

Back