Sparge water not hot enough.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottballz

Reaction score
Today I brewed a west coast IPA and realized afterwards that my sparge water was a little too low. It came out around 160 degrees. I let it sit for 30 min as well. After reading up a little more, I realized I should have just stirred it up real good and started to drain but it's too late now. I guess I just want to know what to expect out of this brew?

Yup, everything went well except the sparge water temp. That's it. I hit my target mash temp and target OG

The only impact I think sparge water temp has is on mash out. If you don't mash out in some fashion, whether through direct heat or hot sparge water, mash continues while you sparge and, probably, at lower than target temps. Certainly not a big deal on a West Coast IPA.

Shouldnt affect the beer at all. If thats the worst thing that happened for the brewday, you are sitting good.

When I mashout at 165, I seem to always overshoot my OG. So, maybe you saved this brew from being a triple IPA! Better lucky than good anyday.

The only impact I think sparge water temp has is on mash out. If you don't mash out in some fashion, whether through direct heat or hot sparge water, mash continues while you sparge and, probably, at lower than target temps. Certainly not a big deal on a West Coast IPA.

Mash out is really not necessary when batch sparging. Now if you're fly sparging for 90 mins...

Back