Spare Mr. Beer Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BingBrew

Reaction score
All;

I've come in possession of a Mr. Beer Malt Extract: "Classic American Blonde Ale." It's a pretty wee can, and says on the side that it is intended to make 2 Gallons. I'm running a standard 5-gallon setup, and have no use for it alone.

Is it possible to add this to a 5-gallon kit? What would the addition of more extract do? Should I hunt around for another 2-gallon extract and combine them? Would I be best off just tossing it?

Thanks!

All;

I've come in possession of a Mr. Beer Malt Extract: "Classic American Blonde Ale." It's a pretty wee can, and says on the side that it is intended to make 2 Gallons. I'm running a standard 5-gallon setup, and have no use for it alone.

Is it possible to add this to a 5-gallon kit? What would the addition of more extract do? Should I hunt around for another 2-gallon extract and combine them? Would I be best off just tossing it?

Thanks!

I'd make a small batch out of it, using two 1-gallon glass jugs. You can find those filled with apple juice in most grocery stores or organic food stores for around $6-7. Use the juice to make Apfelwein.

Yeah depending on how old it is, and if it's liquid - it could add some funky tastes too.

I was considering doing a 2 gallon batch, of just this, but I wasn't sure if Mr. Beer extract is different from 'pure' extracts - reading up on their products makes it look as though they use 'Booster,' which isn't something I'm familiar with.

I don't think it is a hop substitute, as the can describes its contents as "Hopped Malt Extract," and there is a packet of dry yeast under the lid, so it isn't the yeast.

I should be all right just experimenting with this stuff, right?

Also, it's stamped that it is good until 2011, so... no rush.

From memory: Mr beer normally uses booster so on it's own you'll get around a 1% increase in ABV (Very roughly) if you use it on a 5 gallon batch

Booster is a separate component altogether. Most recipes from MB do not use the booster, just the LME (multiple cans).

Your American Blond is hopped and is made to give about 10 IBU's to a 2.13 gallon batch NOT BOILED. Who the hell knows what would happen if you boiled it.

The next time you do a simular 'American Blonde' 5 gallon extract kit (or any kind of batch with sugar in the ingredient list) just add the can of MrB extract to some hot, not boiling, water.

Dilute, then cool, and add to the 5 gallon primary in place of some, about half, of the sugar.

But what do I know, I'm just on my second extract batch?

Pogo

Well it's already hopped so you don't need to boil in order to utilize
the hops. If you wanted to add extra hops you would have to boil
the appropriate time.

I'm assuming the can is sanitary enough to pitch yeast into without
boiling. If you don't boil or add hops, you're stuck with the bittering
and aroma hops that they added to the extract.

If it's just hopped malt extract and you don't care about changing
the taste - why not just calculate how much water you'll need, boil
it up and mix it with the wort, cool and pitch a new pack of yeast?

Make some beer.

If you got some more DME and hops you could base a 5 gallon recipe out of this. Figure about half of what bittering hops you would normally use, and however much flavor/aroma you want.

Back