Southern Passion Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
I bought a pound recently and am wondering what people think of this variety. What flavors do you perceive? Is it potent?

I am planning on making an IPA with it.

From what I've read, its a fairly rare hop and it looks the perfect Hop for an IPA. I'm interested to hear how it all comes out.

I would do a simple SMaSH IPA so you can identify the hop profile

The total oils in these hops according to YVH are only 0.7 ml/100g - nothing compared to the big boys like galaxy and Citra (2.5+). Not saying you can’t make a great beer with them, but I’m thinking it may be underwhelming to use them alone if you are going for NEIPA level flavor and aroma. Those beers rely on hops with heavy total oils. Would like to hear some results of people going for really hoppy brews with these varieties alone and see if they get the punch they want. I’m just guessing.

I will see what 10 oz does in a 5 gallon batch. If it’s underwhelming I have Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, and some homegrown hops to mix and match with it.

The total oils in these hops according to YVH are only 0.7 ml/100g - nothing compared to the big boys like galaxy and Citra (2.5+). Not saying you can’t make a great beer with them, but I’m thinking it may be underwhelming to use them alone if you are going for NEIPA level flavor and aroma. Those beers rely on hops with heavy total oils. Would like to hear some results of people going for really hoppy brews with these varieties alone and see if they get the punch they want. I’m just guessing.

That’s not the only indication. Total oils in Nelson are only around 1% for example.

Southern Passion used to be one of the more sought after hops. The guys from Cellarmaker once said it was a top 5 hop in the world. The reason you’re seeing so much of it now is it’s not grown by just the Inbev owned farms but buy a lot of growers. Which means who knows if the stuff that’s readily available now is anything like what was rarely available for years ago. I bought a Lb from Farmhouse and a lb from YVH. The stuff from Farmhouse was incredibly bland. The stuff from YVH smelled marginally better. I’m not sure this southern Passion is anything like the good stuff??

Very interested in how your So. Passion beer turned out. Did you do a SMaSH?

I have done a few IPA's with 1/2 oz FWH, 1 oz @15 and 1.5 oz whirpool for around 50 IBU, 2 oz dry hop for 5 days. It's a pretty popular brew at my house. Definitely a different IPA aroma, but it served it's purpose, which was something different.

Back