South Jersey/Philly Group Buy... ROUND 7!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we gonna keep doing this when people need grains or are we going to get structured and do it every few months?:mug: I have to thank all of you(Especially Lordura)again for this as it has made buying grains soooo much easier on all of us.

BuonAnno & NAZZ, got your checks today!
BrewDrinkRepeat, PayPal received!

Thanks

Are we gonna keep doing this when people need grains or are we going to get structured and do it every few months?:mug: I have to thank all of you(Especially Lordura)again for this as it has made buying grains soooo much easier on all of us.
As long as people are asking for it, i'll do it every month.

I am back and will probably need grains on the the 8th go around. And wow where did 4,5, 6, 7 go?

Buon Anno (and anyone around West Chester/Downingtown area),
I am in Kennet Square. If you need me to pick up for you just let me know, not a problem.
Brian

Awesome! Depending on the pick-up day I may just take you up on that.

Thanks.

So I am guessing having grains by next week is out?:) Will have to do my all munich ipa following week I guess.

i will take another bag or two and i will pay fast those last two payment they can get in on the next buy
what do you say Jeff

Both payments are on the way! They have both kept me updated so its not like they just bailed on us. Paypal isn't always an option for some people.

The order is ready for shipping to cut out any further delays

If it comes down to it and someone had to back out, i'd let you guys know. So for now, lets just give them some slack.... the payments are on the way!

Slow down sparky, no additional bags for you. Also, no need for name calling... Talk to Jeff, you just might be enlightend.

If you paid, so be it, but it hasn't been updated so no one would know that. Obviously, some people in a group buy are going to keep an eye on that when it's been almost a week and no delivery has been set because the order isn't fully paid up.

If you paid, so be it, but it hasn't been updated so no one would know that. Obviously, some people in a group buy are going to keep an eye on that when it's been almost a week and no delivery has been set because the order isn't fully paid up.

No worries lil' buddy, you'll get your grain;)

You are too nice, Jeff. I really don't see how PayPal is not an option. I mean, it's free. It's fast. It's easy. And if they are on this forum, they must have Internet. I don't want to seem inconsiderate but this is 2010. If you have a bank account, you can use PayPal. Just my two cents.

You are too nice, Jeff. I really don't see how PayPal is not an option. I mean, it's free. It's fast. It's easy. And if they are on this forum, they must have Internet. I don't want to seem inconsiderate but this is 2010. If you have a bank account, you can use PayPal. Just my two cents.

Maybe for future group buys there should be a payment deadline established. In addition, maybe Paypal should be the ONLY form of payment, then there will be no delays in the shipping and receiving of grain. Also, I have Paypal. .02

Evan I hear ya but I had a really bad experience using it so I just closed my account.

In the past Paypal was all I ever used. Then about a year ago I sold a bunch of equipment on Ebay because we were expecting our second kid and needed the extra money. The buyer paid through Paypal and I shipped all the stuff (mash tun, four cornies, CO2 tanks, regulator, temp controller, hoses, etc......) out. Two and half months later there is a "charge back" in my bank account for about $300. I contacted Paypal and they said that since the buyer initiated this with their Credit Card I had no leverage and there was nothing they could do for me.

I had to contact the police in this individuals hometown and file a report. I was then told that this individual had numerous complaints against them for internet fraud. When I presented this info to Paypal they still told me there was nothign they could do.

So long story short, I don't really like Paypal but I do try to get my check out the day I get my invoice.

Wow, Pat. That sucks. I too had a problem with PayPal years ago when I sold a computer. They froze my entire bank account for a couple weeks until the issue was resolved. I guess with the guys on here, and the fact that this is the seventh group buy in a row, I trust that there will not be any issues.

Even when you use PayPal it takes a few business days to clear. Jeff shouldn't place an order until all payments clear through his bank period!

That NY buy has been sitting for a long time. A few more days isn't going to kill anyone from up that way!

I think there should be a timeline on payments received before you get bumped to the next buy.
Something like;
Checks/money orders should be mailed within 24 hours of receiving invoices. PayPal should be made within 48 hours. This way within 7 business days the monies should all clear through his bank.

Paypal only takes like 2 days to transfer to my account. Just enough time for the order to be packed up and shipped. Checks and late payments are really the only set backs.

BuonAnno, you are pretty fast about mailing payments!

Even when you use PayPal it takes a few business days to clear. Jeff shouldn't place an order until all payments clear through his bank period!

He definitely shouldn't and I don't think anyone suggested that he should.

That NY buy has been sitting for a long time. A few more days isn't going to kill anyone from up that way!

I can safely assume this was directed at me. Lodura was actively recruiting on that thread to get more particpants; that's how I found this one to begin with. I put together 10 bags from a few people "up this way" to help fill your pallet quicker. I also paid within 2 hours of recieving my invoice. I think my money is as good as anyone "down your way".

EDIT: Just for clarification, I was hoping to get 10 bags, was only able to get 6 in on time. That should be an obvious answer as to why I mentioned the late payments. I don't see what's wrong with that either. If people haven't paid and it's holding up the order, it's to be expected that those who wanted more, and have the money, would attempt to step up.

He definitely shouldn't and I don't think anyone suggested that he should.

I can safely assume this was directed at me. Lodura was actively recruiting on that thread to get more particpants; that's how I found this one to begin with. I put together 10 bags from a few people "up this way" to help fill your pallet quicker. I also paid within 2 hours of recieving my invoice. I think my money is as good as anyone "down your way".

EDIT: Just for clarification, I was hoping to get 10 bags, was only able to get 6 in on time. That should be an obvious answer as to why I mentioned the late payments. I don't see what's wrong with that either. If people haven't paid and it's holding up the order, it's to be expected that those who wanted more, and have the money, would attempt to step up.

So, people who are from this area, and who have participated in the majority of the South Jersey/ Philly group buys should be critized because their payments were not received in a timely manner by a new comer who lives in an area which has a group buy already in place?

In addition, should members grain be up for grabs because other people wanted more? I wanted more, but I would not dare stake claim to anothers purchase. Maybe locals should have first crack at group buys, and if there is left over grain, then it should be available to others. Just my .02

Refund my $190 which was immediately paid and this will all be over with I guess. I didn't respond to your "little buddy" comment because I took it lightly and thought me and you were square after my explanation to you. I guess I read it the wrong way and should have went with my first instinct.

Again, other than you (since you were one of the slow payments), I don't see why anyone is taking this personally. Orders weren't paid, and two people made the obvious suggestion: accept orders from those who wanted more and will pay instantly so that the order can be placed.

I'm starting to see now that the issue is more where I am from. As such, I'll be staying out of this buy next time for sure.

I'm starting to see now that the issue is more where I am from. As such, I'll be staying out of this buy next time for sure.

Personally I'd like to see as many brewer's take advantage of these group buys so I hope you rethink this. I'm certainly not local since it takes me about 90 minutes to get there and I'd hate to see a "Local's Only" stigma placed on these.

Not to mention, go back and you can see it was one of your own who first threw the slacker label out there.

Which makes it even more obvious to me that this is not a place where my orders and money are wanted next time...

I think i should clear some things up.

"Our" group buy is for "us", "homebrewers". Location of the brewer has nothing to do with it. Being a South Jersey/Philly GB just means that's where the operation is taking place.... the pick up location mostly. I will never not included someone based on their location. I'm pretty sure there is even someone from Virginia on this group buy!

I did post on the NY thread and decide to let them in for a number of reasons:
1) It seemed like they are having trouble getting things rolling this time around.
2) Reaching out to other locations means obtaining more orders for this GB. There is no telling if we would have had enough interest to get this pallet filled.
3) Because when i first made the switch to All Grain/Bulk Grain, i had a hard time getting into a group buy simply because of MY location.

I do also firmly agree that payments should be sent as soon as possible BUT there are always things that can delay someone's payment. If someone has a delay and informs me about it, I'm very understanding. If they just didn't reply to the PM about payment and all this time went by, I would gladly drop them from the GB! The 2 guys who paid a little later then everyone else are in fact people who have supported this GB from the start AND informed me about when to expect payment.

So basically, lets just end this fuss about all the late payments and who should or shouldn't be included because it all boils down to this:
I will always let ANYONE on our group buys because i feel everyone should get that chance to purchase grain at these prices. Some of us, INCLUDING MYSELF, might not even get the chance to brew if the prices weren't so cheap.

So in ending, i would like to thank EVERYONE who is on this group buy for supporting it and i hope you all stay with this GB so we can all share this opportunity. Anyone who missed out, there will be another one as soon as this gets delivered. Let's not talk any further about this. I wouldn't want anyone to be offended because of something as silly as a delayed shipment.

Thanks again for your help. I'll keep everyone informed about the delivery as soon as all payments have cleared.

Cheers :mug:

Paypal randomly yanked 140 bucks out of my checking acct a few weeks back. They restored it right away and promised to communicate the results of their investigation. No word yet, but at least I got my money back.

BuonAnno--that's nasty. If you find the guy, I'll hold him while you hit him.

I think i should clear some things up.

"Our" group buy is for "us", "homebrewers". Location of the brewer has nothing to do with it. Being a South Jersey/Philly GB just means that's where the operation is taking place.... the pick up location mostly. I will never not included someone based on their location. I'm pretty sure there is even someone from Virginia on this group buy!

I did post on the NY thread and decide to let them in for a number of reasons:
1) It seemed like they are having trouble getting things rolling this time around.
2) Reaching out to other locations means obtaining more orders for this GB. There is no telling if we would have had enough interest to get this pallet filled.
3) Because when i first made the switch to All Grain/Bulk Grain, i had a hard time getting into a group buy simply because of MY location.

I do also firmly agree that payments should be sent as soon as possible BUT there are always things that can delay someone's payment. If someone has a delay and informs me about it, I'm very understanding. If they just didn't reply to the PM about payment and all this time went by, I would gladly drop them from the GB! The 2 guys who paid a little later then everyone else are in fact people who have supported this GB from the start AND informed me about when to expect payment.

So basically, lets just end this fuss about all the late payments and who should or shouldn't be included because it all boils down to this:
I will always let ANYONE on our group buys because i feel everyone should get that chance to purchase grain at these prices. Some of us, INCLUDING MYSELF, might not even get the chance to brew if the prices weren't so cheap.

So in ending, i would like to thank EVERYONE who is on this group buy for supporting it and i hope you all stay with this GB so we can all share this opportunity. Anyone who missed out, there will be another one as soon as this gets delivered. Let's not talk any further about this. I wouldn't want anyone to be offended because of something as silly as a delayed shipment.

Thanks again for your help. I'll keep everyone informed about the delivery as soon as all payments have cleared.

Cheers :mug:

Amen.:mug:

Come on folks....no drama/impatience needed on group buys. This order filled up faster than my stomach at an all-you-can-eat buffet, and mail payments tend to stick out when that happens. Other group buys go for several weeks it seems.

Lordura is providing a great service here, please show courtesy and appreciation. This post is NOT aimed at any individual.

No.. it was directed towards the northern buyers that normally go through the N.jersey/NYC/CT thread to purchase bulk.

I don't think Jeff was actively recruiting your area.. I think Jeff more or less, invited you guys that were strapped, (after your deal fell through) in on SJ/philly buy, so you too could get your bulk grain sooner.
Jeff knows how it feels to be left out of a group buy.

If you look at the posting date of the first buy for this area, then look at NYC /North Jersey/CT buy around the same time frame, you'll see that Jeff was passed over on an order so Josh could play around with splitting adjuncts that could be bought in a supermarket on their second buy.

Right after that this areas group buys were setup. Since then this area has had 7 buys to 1 completed buy from the northern area.

Back