Sout for peeps who don't like stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbens6

Reaction score
Looking for a way to do a different take on a stout. Maybe mocha or coffee? Suggestions, if I buy a basic extract kit what is a simple addition to make it stand out a little bit more?

I did a mocha stout early on that I didn't like, but that could work (I think) if I re-worked it. One of my best beers has been an American Smoked Stout, but you really need to be at least able to do a large partial mash to worked with smoked beers very well.

Does it HAVE to be a stout? What don't people like about it? Too harsh? Too dry? What about doing something like a smooth porter than might still have some of the roasty characters but be a little sweeter and less up-front with the roast?

I've also had a cherry-stout that was really good; dark and chocolatey and a tart from the cherries. I'm not a fan generally of fruit beers, but cherries work really nicely in a dark, roasty beer.

Espresso (and coffee) stouts are really starting to explode. At this year's GABF, I would say that is the category that got the biggest in the last year or so. There are good recipes around here if you look (most are under espresso).

Also, what kind of kits are you getting? Brewers Best or something packaged like that? If so, you may be better off getting a kit from AHS that has steeping grains in it which will make a huge difference

I use kits from Listermann.Com - Home Page right now, they are the local b&m. The choc cherry sounds good, as would an espresso, my home interweb is down due to a remodle and using forum search on my blackberry is rough! Anyone wanna post a link for me?

I would consider a nicely flavored porter I suppose, though I am not a fan of porters typically, I do want to try and clone sam adams choc bock!!!

Try a double chocolate stout. This is a much sweeter and less bitter stout than your run of the mill Guiness or Murphys. It makes a GREAT dessert beer!
-Me

I have always hated stouts- they taste too much like coffee, and I hate coffee. But I love a good oatmeal stout. Mebbe the oatmeal cuts the coffee flavor just enough. Just a thought.

A schwarz is a nice beer that has some of the characteristics of a stout but it's not really a stout. I have some friends who really like a schwarz but really don't like stouts... It might be worth a try...

I have always hated stouts- they taste too much like coffee, and I hate coffee. But I love a good oatmeal stout. Mebbe the oatmeal cuts the coffee flavor just enough. Just a thought.
When I read the thread title; Oatmeal Stout was the first thing that came to mind. A stout for folks that don't like stouts. Silky smooth with just enough sweetness to balance the roast and bitterness.

Latest posts

Back