Sous Vide, why did i wait to try this???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
Santa finally brought me a real Sous Vide machine instead of my eBIAB rig. Wow... so easy to cook in this... just vac seal whatever and cook away then sear it... Lamb rack came out so perfect!!
3.jpg
1.jpg

It's great for lots of stuff. I did our christmas dinner for 30hrs continiously in my mash tun.

I did 4 trys with my ebiab before getting this to make sure i liked it. worked great, I can see where i would do something bigger like that in the ebiab rig. Hard part would be getting the vac seal bag big enough..

I have an Anova also. Love it! I made a ribeye roast yesterday. Rubbed heavily with salt and placed uncovered in the refrigerator for a few days then vac sealed and into bath for 7hrs @ 133. Then seared on a super hot grill. It turned out great

I also got an Iwani Torch, will try that when I get some butane for it...

We've been doing food and brewing BIAB with one. As we do batches from 2 to 5 gallons its easily capable of holding mash rests and has taken a lot of fiddling around out of the brew day.

Tried the torch, it was ok, I guess... prefer the pan method for browning. I can see maybe ribs or odd shaped pieces for the torch...

I tried a while back with a large crock pot and one of my STC controllers. I really need to get back to this. I have friends on FB who have been posting pictures lately. Jealous!

I really like the Anova Cooker and plastic tub thing I bought. Makes it so easy to just seal stuff up and toss it in. Temps stay dead on... so far the favorite thing is 72 hr beef ribs... just salt pepper and seal and toss them in... come out super tender... cheap too! :)

super easy to just let is sit there and cook away :)

Attachments

• 20180106_190652.jpg
    20180106_190652.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 97
IMG_6803.JPG
I have a cooler that I cut a hole in the lid. Sitting on the lid when it's going is a big hit with our Sphynx cats. The other day I'd poured out 150* water and set the cooler on the counter. I left to get a beer and came back to this.

I got the same one for Christmas from my Wife... cooked some rib eyes at 129*F for 1 hour and then browned them on the cast iron..... AMAZING!!

In the summer I cook meat in the smoker for 6 hours to a precise temperature using a thermometer, so I can appreciate that part of it , but something about cooking meat in plastic is just a total turn-off. No offense intended.

In the summer I cook meat in the smoker for 6 hours to a precise temperature using a thermometer, so I can appreciate that part of it , but something about cooking meat in plastic is just a total turn-off. No offense intended.

Yeah it does seem that way, but after you brown it up, you honestly cant tell the difference... one trick I learned was to use a bit of smoked salt.

the main think i like is that its repeatable every single time. there is NO chance of over cooking anything. Now I wouldnt cook everything in it... but for meats, or esp fish i dont see another way that you can get exact temps every single time....

I have a cooler that I cut a hole in the lid. Sitting on the lid when it's going is a big hit with our Sphynx cats. The other day I'd poured out 150* water and set the cooler on the counter. I left to get a beer and came back to this.

LOL!!! How long do you s'pose it will take to get that tender? ;)

we have several anovas of that same model in my restaurant and they are great little work horses for various cooking preparations. My personal unit is an older version Anova that has a little bit higher wattage and I use it every batch to hold my BIAB mash rest exactly at the desired temp......love it

Back