sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyjoe555

Reaction score
I'm going to honest here and say that I'm clueless about sours and I'm looking to get into them. A beer store in my area looks to have a pretty big variety of sours and I'm wondering which ones you guys suggest I start off trying. Thanks for any advice

BigSkyKriek.jpg

I believe SeaWatchman has some connections over at Big Sky, but he can elaborate on other must-tries in the American Wild and Sour beer scene.

Welcome to TalkBeer ;)

I'm going to honest here and say that I'm clueless about sours and I'm looking to get into them. A beer store in my area looks to have a pretty big variety of sours and I'm wondering which ones you guys suggest I start off trying. Thanks for any advice

Not sure what's available to you but if they have New Belgium Le Terrior, try that.

You're gonna hear a lot of people on here tell you that bruery sours are terrible and whatnot....I say judge for yourself as I wrote them off based on others opinion and I really loved things like bearaugarde, sans pagei, and sour in the rye kumquat.

Other than that, seek out le terroir from NewBelgium when available. One of my favorite regular drinking sours.

There's also a good chance you can find stuff like marriage parfait, cuvée Renee, tilquin gueuze, Hansens, on the shelf. Buy these and find out if the lambic world is for you

I wouldn't suggest starting with Duchesse de Borgogne, way too acetic and I think the vinegar flavor would turn off a lot of people. I still don't even really like it that much.

I couldn't believe my taste buds the first time I had Duchess, Petrus Pale, Cuvee Rene, Rodenbach Grand Cru and ESPECIALLY Cuvee Des Jacobsins Rouge. I though they were all incredible and can be found in grocery stores. Today I don't care much for any of them, especially the Flanders Reds which are just too sweet, but they are all a great place to start. I've seen Duchess blow the minds of exclusive lager drinkers, wine drinkers or others who just don't do beer. I still love Orval though, which is also easy to find.

If you are interested in trading for some world class sours, I wouldn't look much farther than Supplication and Consecration. They're pretty readily available and just as good as a lot of the hyped up stuff.

I'd recommend the Cuvee Jeun' Homme from Belgian brewery De Leite. It's a really nice oak aged blonde with semi-sour taste and a tea-like bitterness, but it's not too overpowering, so it's a good gateway. Plus the label is really cool.

Back