Sourcing plastic PET bottle screwtops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franc1969

Reaction score
I want black plastic bottle caps for PET [or glass soda] bottles, and am having issues finding them. Everyone I can find brew-related, Amazon and LHBS seems to carry just white caps, or from Mr Beer I can find 12 packs of black. Where can I find larger lots of black, say at least 100-200 at a time? The white, I am told, just looks a bit too downscale. This seems like a simple issue, it's not like nothing commercial ever comes in a plastic bottle.

7-10 cents a cap by the 1000-lot sounds like a lot of $$. Look at "disposable" water bottles, they must cost close to nothing, cap and all.
Is this for beer? Why not reuse the caps? Are they gifts? Who cares if they're white or whatever color?

How about kegging? Screw the bottles.

7-10 cents a cap by the 1000-lot sounds like a lot of $$. Look at "disposable" water bottles, they must cost close to nothing, cap and all.
Is this for beer? Why not reuse the caps? Are they gifts? Who cares if they're white or whatever color?

How about kegging? Screw the bottles.
Aesthetics matter. This is for blue and clear bottles, and possibly events past the first one. If I can get the black lids, I use the bottles I have, and am not going to have to buy a large quantity of new bottles I don't see getting back.
Kegging does not travel, or distribute. Also not a solution for someone not interested in whole hog brewing.

Aesthetics matter. This is for blue and clear bottles, and possibly events past the first one. If I can get the black lids, I use the bottles I have, and am not going to have to buy a large quantity of new bottles I don't see getting back.
Kegging does not travel, or distribute. Also not a solution for someone not interested in whole hog brewing.
Sorry, I didn't mean for you to buy water bottles, just looking at the general availability and throw away usage of them. I'd be surprised if those bottled water companies even paying 1 penny for each, including the screw cap. The content costs even less.
I do think they injection mold the preforms onsite though. They may even generate preforms.

So they're gifts? Then yes, presentation matters.
What's wrong with using glass? Same reasoning?

Back