Source for 3/16" Barrier Tubing... (Anyone want to split a roll)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright. All packages have gone out and are enroute. They will be in your hands by end of the week next week at the latest (depending on where you are). Most of you should have them by this week.

Lotbfan - let me know if you are still interested.

Hooray! Now I need to actually buy my kegging setup and finish up the keezer so I can use the stuff!

Got mine! you shorted me a foot, I only got 99feet lol. Are you planning on using 1/4 barbs? With a ton of work and some boiling water, i finally got it onto a 1/4 barb.

Got mine! you shorted me a foot, I only got 99feet lol. Are you planning on using 1/4 barbs? With a ton of work and some boiling water, i finally got it onto a 1/4 barb.

Not sure how that is possible... the markings are every two feet....

And no... I was planning to use 1/4"... but it was VERY tight. I am going to try to order some 3/16" ones.

Ohh didnt realize it was every 2 feet. I wondered why you didnt cut it near a foot marking. Makes sense now :) Thanks again.

Let me know what source you find for flared 3/16. Our LHBS showed me the catalog from their supplier and they didnt even have 3/16. Only 1/4 and 5/32 fittings.

1/4" should be plenty fine just heat some water and stick the end of the tubing in to soften it up and it will slide right on a 1/4" barb

-=Jason=-

So how many feet of this am I going to need to use in my keezer per tap? I have the holiday 7 ft^3.

I have 1/4" barrier tubing and found its resistance to be half that of vinyl for the same diameter. I wouldn't use that to figure out the number, but just keep in mind that the resistance is likely very different from vinyl.

Man I hate the plastic taste, but why do we lose so much ID on a 1/4 or 3/16inch hose? Shouldn't ID be ID? If ID is listed as 3/16 how can it be smaller?

Man I hate the plastic taste, but why do we lose so much ID on a 1/4 or 3/16inch hose? Shouldn't ID be ID? If ID is listed as 3/16 how can it be smaller?

I am not following.

3/16 ID is 3/16 ID no other way around it, however it can come in 5/16 or 7/16 OD.

same goes for 1/4" stuff

-=Jason=-

I am not following.

3/16 ID is 3/16 ID no other way around it, however it can come in 5/16 or 7/16 OD.

same goes for 1/4" stuff

-=Jason=-

Re-read I was confusing diameter with resistance it seems.. Wondering why 3/16th ID barrier tube requires longer length. Not understanding why it would have a different resistance.

I currently run 30' for soda water, and 8 feet for beer. Guess I could get some dip tubes to reduce length needed for soda...

Do you still have any of this 3/16 id left?

Re-read I was confusing diameter with resistance it seems.. Wondering why 3/16th ID barrier tube requires longer length. Not understanding why it would have a different resistance.

I currently run 30' for soda water, and 8 feet for beer. Guess I could get some dip tubes to reduce length needed for soda...

Do you still have any of this 3/16 id left?

Resistance is related to diameter, material, viscosity of the fluid, etc... lots of stuff. The material is different, thus the resistance is different.

And no... sorry. Sold off all that I wanted to.

I am terrible at figuring out math, but I am using about 12 psi to move a heffe through 10 feet of the tubing and have a nice balance of head and speed of pour.

Thre real challenge was heating the tubing to fit the 3/16 barb fitting inside it, I gave up after the first one and bridged gaps with 1/4" vinyl tubing and hose clamps. Any tips from other folks who are using this would be great... I think i spent about 10 minutes with an ice pick and a pot of boiling water heating and stretching just one end of the 10 I need to do :)

I just played some some for the first time last night. its very hard to get this 3/16" over 1/4" or larger fittings. I think my BowieFan Bottling Adapters smallest diameter is more like 3/8" rather than 1/4".

but if you have a pair of snap rings pliers give them a good cleaning and dip it into your boiling water like normal and use snap ring pliers to spread the tubing. hold this for a second so it doesn't spring back to the smaller diameter. you should be able to then slide it over your barb fitting.

-=Jason=-

Back