Sour wort beer at 80 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youreanimpulse

Reaction score
I'm doing a sour wort Berliner-style (15 min boil) with raw two-row in the fermenter of second runnings from an Oud Bruin, brewed Sunday. I'm only able to keep it at 80 degrees, so I assume it will take a little longer to sour. I have it nicely free of O2 right now, and ideally I don't want to open it until I think it's ready so I can just pitch my sacc and close it back up. Thoughts on prospective timeline? I'm seeing possibly 5 days at these temps, but I thought it'd be nice to confirm from those more experienced than I.

I'd taste it after 3 if it's the first time. If you can purge with CO2 that would be best but I didn't do it on my first one, tasted it after 3 and then 5 days, turned out great. Very clean sour.

Didn't bother to check on this on Wed. Today at 5 days it smells kind of like sourdough. Tastes ok, but almost has an off flavor I can't describe well, like plastic or household cleaner, but super subtle. It is something I think I tasted slightly in a Berliner I recently had from Upright Brewing. I'm hoping that will drop to the background like it was in the commercial example.

It dropped 10 pts to 1.030, probably partially due to the Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga dregs I pitched on brew day with the sack of 2-row. Forgot I did that until I went back to my notes today. ::drunk::

Anyway, I rehydrated some US-05 and pitched it in the slowly churning fermenter. I'm excited to see what the lactobacillus and brettanomyces will keep doing for this little experimental batch.

Here's a couple pics. Funnily enough, these third runnings have almost none of the color of the original batch of Oud Bruin.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406324011.620057.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406324025.486639.jpg

Oh, and a little history: I have done one other wild sour with grain, which was a sour mash. It got a lot of butyric acid and I ended up boiling it off for a while and only using a few quarts in 6 gallons of Wit. The Wit was boring and tasteless, so it is now seven months old aging with White Labs Flemish Sour blend and it's finally sour enough to taste the orange peel. Round about point is this one smells like the first one without the butyric acid (ie clean). So I think it'll be good.

Sour mash seemed to have done very little actual souring at that temp. Took a sample today 2 days after adding 2 more house Brett cultures (just bits of beers I have currently aging) and a 1/2 cup WY3711 slurry and it's at 1.000 (calibrated). Not very sour (at least when warm), but a nice subtle cherry Brett character beginning to emerge. Tasty!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406684582.967885.jpg

Back