Sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris urbanczyk

Reaction score
I made two batches with prehopped Laglaander extracts. Ready to make a third but noticed a slight sour aftertaste on both of my two batches. Is that normal? Can I avoid this aftertaste?

Thanks.

Chris urbanczyk said:
I made two batches with prehopped Laglaander extracts. Ready to make a third but noticed a slight sour aftertaste on both of my two batches. Is that normal? Can I avoid this aftertaste?

Thanks.

I made a cider one time that had this problem. It was the sulpher dioxide that contributed to it. Aging solved this problem. Ciders age well but beers do not. You may also have bacteria contamination. How sanitary were you?

How fresh was the extract? Liquid extract has a distinct lifespan, and the hopped type degrades even more markedly. (If almost all hop aroma degrades durring the course of a 1 hour boil, leaving only the bitterness, imagine what happens to the hop profile durring the dehydration process!) I once made a prehopped mr. beer Old english bitter, and it had a distinct cidery, sour taste. I am quite sure that it wasn't a infection, just stale ingredients. For better taste, use unhopped malt extract, from a source that is sure to get you fresh stuff, add your own fresh hopps, and steep some crushed specialty grains to lend the wort a fresher flavor. It'll be twice as good as the prehopped junk. There are lots of folks on here doing the partial mash/ grain steeping method to help you out there. Good luck on your future brews!:D

Powersurge said:
I made a cider one time that had this problem. It was the sulpher dioxide that contributed to it. Aging solved this problem. Ciders age well but beers do not. You may also have bacteria contamination. How sanitary were you?

I don't think it's a sanitation problem. The sour taste is slight, maybe like one experiences drinking Linenkugel beer, but I want to avoid that taste. It didn't go away with aging although it is softer after the beer was properly aged.

Thanks.

D-brewmeister said:
How fresh was the extract? Liquid extract has a distinct lifespan, and the hopped type degrades even more markedly. (If almost all hop aroma degrades durring the course of a 1 hour boil, leaving only the bitterness, imagine what happens to the hop profile durring the dehydration process!) I once made a prehopped mr. beer Old english bitter, and it had a distinct cidery, sour taste. I am quite sure that it wasn't a infection, just stale ingredients. For better taste, use unhopped malt extract, from a source that is sure to get you fresh stuff, add your own fresh hopps, and steep some crushed specialty grains to lend the wort a fresher flavor. It'll be twice as good as the prehopped junk. There are lots of folks on here doing the partial mash/ grain steeping method to help you out there. Good luck on your future brews!:D

I have Munton's Old Ale (2X1.5kg.) prehopped extract dated Sept. 06 ready to go into the next batch. Maybe I should replace it and go the hopped approach you have suggested. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

I just made a yarrow gruit and it has a sour taste up front. It is overwhelmingly sour...what say you? Should I let it age some more, or risk botttle bombs with time.

Skeyeflyer

Back