SOUR Plastic Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdeddude

Reaction score
I accidentally created a sour stout. My plastic bucket still has the smell - can I still use it, or only for sour beers now? Is there anyway to get it out of the bucket?

your probably better off buying a new bucket, its way cheaper then dumping another batch.

there really isnt with plastic. you could try a long soak in PBW, but I still woldnt risk it for a measly ~$15 for a new one

Was the sour stout good? just asking because unless the sour actually turned out tasty, I wouldnt re-use that for future sours because youd propagate the bad bugs

Actually, I somehow got a true Brett out of it. Doesn't taste too bad. Problem is I have to save the bottling bucket too. They both smell like the sour.

Brett. Brought to homebrew shop and we all agreed. Has the sweet and sour characteristics associated with Brett. Does that change the approach with the plastic buckets at all?

No
Now it is a Brett bucket instead of a sour bucket.
Keep it(them) for Brett beer and get new ones for clean brews

If only I could create a Brett intentionally! I guess one bucket also means the bottling bucket...?

you can still clean it and sanitize it. i mean plastic is the most susceptible to harboring the infectious bacteria and wild yeast but that doesn't mean its impossible to sanitize after its been in contact with souring bacteria.

keep in mind that there is wild yeast and bacteria in the air as well.

Ive got a set of clean wild and brett gear that just follows a hand-me-down chain. I had a bunch of people over to try some beer the other night and one of them goes "is Brett your roomate? I thought you lived alone..."

Back