Sour Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRS1844

Reaction score
I have been brewing for 10+ years and this is my first sour.
I tried to follow the recipe as best as I can. It's the Cañor sour from American Homebrewers Association.
It calls for 8 oz of unmilled 2 row for a natural sour I guess.
Anyhow, I think I took the term "kettle sour" to literal. I did my 60 min mash @152 degrees and let it cool down so I can put the unmilled grains in. I have since let it sit in the kettle for 24 hours. That is where I think I went wrong. Should I have put it in a sealed fermenter?

I would have boiled it to kill off any possible pathogens, then let it cool and added the grains.

Typically, I'll do the full boil, then add any souring agents after chilling. (Roselare is my preferred yeast/bug blend)

The fast sour method,
Mash, sparge, & bring to a boil
Cool to ~100, add goodbelly probiotics & lactic acid, keep close to 100 for several days
bring to a boil for the required time
add hops per schedule
cool and ferment with a neutral yeast
package, using your normal method

How does it smell & taste now?

So it smells sour. I don't really know how else to put it.
The recipe calls for another boil after letting the wort sit at room temp for 3 days.

I would have boiled it to kill off any possible pathogens, then let it cool and added the grains.
There's absolutely no reason to pre-boil when you're about to add a wild culture. ...

@PBRS1844
Using a wild culture to pre-sour is an especially risky process (and kettle souring is already risky). Normally you would want to lower the pH before adding the grain.

I recommend a more modern method using a pure bacteria culture.

I dumped the batch and started over. I used good belly instead of grains. I appreciate all the help!

Back