Sour Brown ale with The yeast Bay's Melange Sour blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GutBaron

Reaction score
Hello every one this is my first post and wanted to talk about a sour project I have going at the moment. I brewed a sour brown ale about 10 weeks ago and wanted to document my process so far. Here below are my ingrediants and processes.

6 gallons in the kettle
All grain infusion mash with a cereal mash for the adjunct. 72% efficiency and North East Los Angeles water source.

Malt:
10 Lb Vienna malt
1Lb Carevienne malt
1Lb flaked corn
1 Lb flake rye
.5 Lb pale chocolate malt
.25 Lb carafa III

Hops
Serebrianka at the beginning of the boil at 8 ibu's

Yeast
The Yeast Bay Melange Sour Blend

While waiting for strike water to reach temperature I performed a cereal mash with the flaked corn and rye with 10% of the base malt basically mashing in at 150 for about 15 minutes then brought to a boil. Once I mashed in at 152 I began to boil the cereal mash for thirty minutes (continually stir cereal mash as it will burn the bottom) once the cereal mash was complete I added to the main mash to raise the temperature to 158 for another 60 minutes. Sparged with 168 degree water and continued to boil for 90 minutes. Cooled wort and pitched the sour blend at 72 degrees. My tempuratures in the house would vary we had some strange weather where it would reach into the 100s some days and 70's in the next so I kept the carboy in a darker, cooler spot. The fermentation took 2 days to show a Krausen which last for about a week and a half and I didn't check the gravity till recently. The gravity dropped down to 1.003 and that sample I took had a bit of sulfer but the beer is still very young and has yet to clean the beer up. There was a very noticeable tartness to the beer after the ten weeks and I hope that the beer will develop a little more tartness. There was a lot of funk in the nose and on the palate which I enjoy and I am guessing that will mellow a bit. That is all I have so far and will update in the future.

Subb'd. I'm about to brew my first true sour this weekend. I also chose Melange, so I'm curious to hear how yours chugs along.

Hello every one this is my first post and wanted to talk about a sour project I have going at the moment. I brewed a sour brown ale about 10 weeks ago and wanted to document my process so far. Here below are my ingrediants and processes.

6 gallons in the kettle
All grain infusion mash with a cereal mash for the adjunct. 72% efficiency and North East Los Angeles water source.

Malt:
10 Lb Vienna malt
1Lb Carevienne malt
1Lb flaked corn
1 Lb flake rye
.5 Lb pale chocolate malt
.25 Lb carafa III

Hops
Serebrianka at the beginning of the boil at 8 ibu's

Yeast
The Yeast Bay Melange Sour Blend

While waiting for strike water to reach temperature I performed a cereal mash with the flaked corn and rye with 10% of the base malt basically mashing in at 150 for about 15 minutes then brought to a boil. Once I mashed in at 152 I began to boil the cereal mash for thirty minutes (continually stir cereal mash as it will burn the bottom) once the cereal mash was complete I added to the main mash to raise the temperature to 158 for another 60 minutes. Sparged with 168 degree water and continued to boil for 90 minutes. Cooled wort and pitched the sour blend at 72 degrees. My tempuratures in the house would vary we had some strange weather where it would reach into the 100s some days and 70's in the next so I kept the carboy in a darker, cooler spot. The fermentation took 2 days to show a Krausen which last for about a week and a half and I didn't check the gravity till recently. The gravity dropped down to 1.003 and that sample I took had a bit of sulfer but the beer is still very young and has yet to clean the beer up. There was a very noticeable tartness to the beer after the ten weeks and I hope that the beer will develop a little more tartness. There was a lot of funk in the nose and on the palate which I enjoy and I am guessing that will mellow a bit. That is all I have so far and will update in the future.

Taste the beer recently? Any updates on the development? Cheers!

Sorry for the late reply biobrewer I've been pretty swamped at the moment. I actually bottled a gallon of it because i really like how the flavors developed. I thing this blend really suits a dark sour beer and I'm sure it will fallow with a pale beer. I have another gallon of it aging and i think at this stage the pedio has taken over because it looks "sick" and has a thick pellicle. The acidity came on pretty quickly as i think the brevis is quick to start. The funky is nice and it is still young for all of the components to mature. I kind of wish i didn't bottle that gallon and just kept it aging but i will be brewing this again soon.

Sorry for the late reply biobrewer I've been pretty swamped at the moment. I actually bottled a gallon of it because i really like how the flavors developed. I thing this blend really suits a dark sour beer and I'm sure it will fallow with a pale beer. I have another gallon of it aging and i think at this stage the pedio has taken over because it looks "sick" and has a thick pellicle. The acidity came on pretty quickly as i think the brevis is quick to start. The funky is nice and it is still young for all of the components to mature. I kind of wish i didn't bottle that gallon and just kept it aging but i will be brewing this again soon.

Have you bottled/tasted this lately? I'm thinking about ordering the Melange blend and the Wyeast Roeselare blend and comparing the 2 on dark sours

+1, would like to hear how this beer is turning out.

It came out pretty nice I might hold back on the carafa but other wise pretty tasty sour. It has a nice brett funk followed by chocolate, dark fruit, and figs. the taste is has a slight roast but mends well and followed by lactic sourness and funk along with dark fruits and chocolate. All in all I love this brew it was one of my favorites. I really wanted some sour cherries but I didn't want to fruit the whole batch so I split it and the one I added cherries to I blended with a sour blond, Both came out great.

Back