Sour Beer in Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman22

Reaction score
Hello,

I kegged a sour beer last night and put it into the kegerator to carb. I know I must take necessary precautions to sanitize all the equipment I used, but I have a question that I've not seen yet..

I have a 3 tap system, and the gas lines all come together at a 3 way manifold. Would it be possible for the gas lines to carry the 'infection' into other kegs? The gas lines all have check valves. Or does the yeast need to be in liquid to live/move to other kegs?

I will be replacing the liquid line that the sour beer is on when the keg kicks, and obviously cleaning everything thoroughly. I am just concerned with infection other kegs on my system.

My first thought would be no, as I don't believe anything can live in a pure CO2 environment. Even if it could the check valves should prevent any cross contamination. I have a similar set up and have never had any problems. I have one tap set-up with pin locks I only use for sours. Everything else is ball lock. Seems to work for me with no issues.

Thanks for the response. It seems like some people have no problems and some do. I kind of wish I would have bottles this one, oh well live and learn. The other batches seem ok so far...

While it might be possible for the gas lines to get infected, I think it would be pretty difficult. You have positive pressure coming from the C02 tank, so nothing should be wandering into them. The only thing that might get bugs on it would probably be the actual connector. A decent soak in PBW then starsan should fix it. If not, then you have more sour beer, which is always a good thing, right?

Latest posts

Back