SOS - Kegtastrophy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahansen

Reaction score
Alright - I need some serious help.

I've got 2 buckets ready to keg and 3 more batches ready to brew... tomorrow. Got a corny keg and tank/reg from some guy off Craigslist and it read no pressure. I took it to my local shop and they said that:

a) the low pressure reg isn't reading pressure
b) the keg was last stamped in 97 meaning it expired a 2 years ago (but there is also is quite a bit of Co2 left in the tank)

So here's the question, do you think it's OK to use the tank (he mentioned rust) and are there any tricks to get the pressure around 20 # for so I can force carb this (for my party in 3 weeks :(

Thanks,
Adam

well, if its an aluminum tank, doubtful of the rust... steel, okay

take off the reg and replace low pressure gauge (assuming its the guage and not the regulator itself). just check to see if its right hand or left handed threads. probably need a bench vice to grip the reg though.

take the tank to a welding shop and "swap" tanks.. typically a lot cheaper than filling each time. Youll have to pay for a hydro test (which youll have to do before you get it filled by anyone that knows what they are doing).. typically $15-$25. If you go through all the trouble of getting that done, the welding shop might be nice enough to take the gauge off with their vice (again assuming its the gauge) if you buy the replacement from them...

I've not heard of a CO2 tank rusting inside the tank, but I learn something new everyday. Have you tried to adjust the regulator? Turn the adjustment screw out, counter clockwise to increase pressure.

I know that there are threads about rebuilding and cleaning regulators, but that's one exercise I've not attempted yet.

If you purchase a replacement gauge, get one that has the proper pressure scale for serving and carbing beer.

I think most regulators have some type of loc-tite to lock in the gauges, that may be something to consider if you can't get the gauge off. I've read about brewers that say you can use heat IF you use a wet towel to protect the regulator.

Good Luck.

I've not heard of a CO2 tank rusting inside the tank, but I learn something new everyday. Have you tried to adjust the regulator? Turn the adjustment screw out, counter clockwise to increase pressure.

FYI, a tank can rust very easily on the inside if someone is careless with it and allows the CO2 to run completely out then hook it up to a pressurized keg without a check valve (yes even the gas line can get a little beer in it). Once beer gets into a CO2 tank you must take it in right away or its done for. I scuba dive and it is just an unwritten rule to never let a tank get below 100-200 psi because water loves to get in those guys! It is actually a law that if you run a tank out of air underwater (not a fun experience) you have to have it inspected. Thank god CO2 tanks dont deal with water very often, we all run them dry once in a while just because it happens so darn fast once the liquid is gone.

In a much happier note most people are smarter than that and dont let it happen or have a check valve for those drunken nights..... What I would recommend is to clean out the corny get it all ready to go and while you are doing that fill a glass with the CO2 gas. smell the top of the glass (dont stick your damn nose down in it and pass out) and see if it smells funky, if not then hammer down.

Thanks Brewin Crazy, like I wrote, I learn something new everyday. I don't understand why you'd want to go scuba diving with CO2 though....

Just kidding.... Put Down That Keyboard!

:)

Thanks - you guys rock. The keg is clean, the C02 smelled clean so I'm going to run with it. I'm looking for a local supplier to replace the low-pressure reg (think I've got that covered) after which I should be on-track for the holidays. Thanks to all for a quick response...

Back