Sorry guys I'm neurotic...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalymiddleboro

Reaction score
Wife and I wanted to look at our RIS 2 weeks fermenting.

Took the lid off and looked fine. Though a couple of drops less than half a teaspoon of water dropper from the airlock into the primary.

Should I be nervous the batch will get infected? :(

Wife and I wanted to look at our RIS 2 weeks fermenting.

Took the lid off and looked fine. Though a couple of drops less than half a teaspoon of water dropper from the airlock into the primary.

Should I be nervous the batch will get infected? :(

Not really... are you using water/StarSan solution or just straight water?

If not, it's always best to use a mixture of StarSan and water or vodka or something else that nasties can't survive in for your airlock water.

I wouldn't be too concerned. The alcohol levels should help prevent contamination at this point, not to say that it isn't possible. Also, if you plan to dry hop this will also help protect against contamination. Either way you will just have to wait and see :D

Edit: Also, when I think more about it...If you had just sanitized your airlock, then put water into it, it is likely that there was some left over sanitizer still in the airlock so honestly I wouldn't be worried at all. Idk if you let it dry before you filled it or not.

She filled it immediately. It didn't dry.

I just have high hopes for this batch. Don't wanna see it ruined.

It'll be fine. The water was in contact with a sanitized surface and likely wasn't carrying anything overly funky from the tap.

Plus, at 2 weeks in, there will be some alcohol present to make it inhospitable for bugs.

It'll be fine. The water was in contact with a sanitized surface and likely wasn't carrying anything overly funky from the tap.

Plus, at 2 weeks in, there will be some alcohol present to make it inhospitable for bugs.

Thanks guys,

I figured nothing would be wrong, just thought I'd ask. Yea next time I'll take the airlock off, but it was in a sanitzied environment and only like 2 droplets fell in.

Also thought I should mention, we have well water. It's supposed to be one of the purest forms of drinking water, and gets filtered with salt.

Relax, don't worry, and all that jazz. And keep a bottle of rot gut vodka on hand for airlocks from now on. Now you know why.

Seriously, he's not serious.

tumblr_lhgjim2jYx1qbiuveo1_400.gif

If it needs a water softener you do not want to use that water to brew with - buy grocery store RO and build up the minerals.

I'm just curious as to why?

I had a brew before that turned out ok. I figured the boil kills off anything.

Well water is supposed to be the cleanest.

I'm just curious as to why?

I had a brew before that turned out ok. I figured the boil kills off anything.

Well water is supposed to be the cleanest.

Well water can contain harmful bacteria and chemicals, and can have higher amounts of certain minerals than is wanted in brewing water.

We should focus on the minerals, since, as you say, we are boiling the water during the brewing process and therefore sanitizing (not sterilizing) the water so bacteria is not a concern. I'll leave chemicals off the discussion as well, since it is unlikely that you are drinking water that is considered harmful unless you live near fertilized farmland, a large factory, or a chemical plant AND have a shallow well.

To be the best, brewing water needs to meet certain mineral profile requirements. In general low to modest amounts of alkalinity are desired for pale beers, and moderate to moderately high amounts of alkalinity are best for dark beers. The acidity of the dark grains will help drop the pH into a range that is good for the mash (5.2-5.4)

High amounts of some minerals will affect the flavor. Iron can give a blood flavor. Sulfates and Chlorides are very often noted for affecting the taste of the beer. Sodium can give a salty flavor in excess.

The bottom line is that well water is just as likely to have an unwanted mineral makeup as water that comes from a municipal supply, even if it is likely to not have chlorine or chemicals deems unsafe at certain levels (But which are also unlikely to be tasted anyway.)

What a lot of brewers are doing these days is to send their water to Ward labs for a brewer's analysis so they can see how much of each mineral is in their water. A lot of them find the alkalinity of their water is high and not so great for mash pH in lighter colored beers, or even too high for dark beers!

If the alkalinity is high enough a lot of them (like me) generally just buy RO water and add the minerals amounts they want to match the style of beer they are brewing.

It's probably one of the more confusing areas of homebrewing for a lot of people, and one of the last things a homebrewer investigates in their progression through the hobby.

So the point is that although your well water is likely to have less chemicals in it than water from a municipal supply, there is no guarantee it's chemical free, and it may have bacteria in it as well that won't harm you, but in a beer can spoil it. It may also have more than desired amounts of certain minerals or alkalinity to be best for brewing.

Also note that a lot of people don't care to delve into water analysis and adjustments. They like the flavor of their beer just fine and that's ok. Not everyone has to be a nerd when it comes to brewing.

Im going to agree that it'll be fine. Especially a high abv brew like an RIS. I figure by the time the fermentation gets going enough blow out an airlock, its got enough alcohol to fight off any bacteria.

But in the future, fill your airlocks with starsan or something, just in case. In the worst case scenario that reverse pressure actually sucks in from the airlock, starsan is supposedly actually nutritional to the yeast

Well water can contain harmful bacteria and chemicals, and can have higher amounts of certain minerals than is wanted in brewing water.

We should focus on the minerals, since, as you say, we are boiling the water during the brewing process and therefore sanitizing (not sterilizing) the water so bacteria is not a concern. I'll leave chemicals off the discussion as well, since it is unlikely that you are drinking water that is considered harmful unless you live near fertilized farmland, a large factory, or a chemical plant AND have a shallow well.

To be the best, brewing water needs to meet certain mineral profile requirements. In general low to modest amounts of alkalinity are desired for pale beers, and moderate to moderately high amounts of alkalinity are best for dark beers. The acidity of the dark grains will help drop the pH into a range that is good for the mash (5.2-5.4)

High amounts of some minerals will affect the flavor. Iron can give a blood flavor. Sulfates and Chlorides are very often noted for affecting the taste of the beer. Sodium can give a salty flavor in excess.

The bottom line is that well water is just as likely to have an unwanted mineral makeup as water that comes from a municipal supply, even if it is likely to not have chlorine or chemicals deems unsafe at certain levels (But which are also unlikely to be tasted anyway.)

What a lot of brewers are doing these days is to send their water to Ward labs for a brewer's analysis so they can see how much of each mineral is in their water. A lot of them find the alkalinity of their water is high and not so great for mash pH in lighter colored beers, or even too high for dark beers!

If the alkalinity is high enough a lot of them (like me) generally just buy RO water and add the minerals amounts they want to match the style of beer they are brewing.

It's probably one of the more confusing areas of homebrewing for a lot of people, and one of the last things a homebrewer investigates in their progression through the hobby.

So the point is that although your well water is likely to have less chemicals in it than water from a municipal supply, there is no guarantee it's chemical free, and it may have bacteria in it as well that won't harm you, but in a beer can spoil it. It may also have more than desired amounts of certain minerals or alkalinity to be best for brewing.

Also note that a lot of people don't care to delve into water analysis and adjustments. They like the flavor of their beer just fine and that's ok. Not everyone has to be a nerd when it comes to brewing.

Woah,

I just got schooled lol. I'll take this all into account this was interesting and will surely provide a base for some interesting reads later on, thanks!

Im going to agree that it'll be fine. Especially a high abv brew like an RIS. I figure by the time the fermentation gets going enough blow out an airlock, its got enough alcohol to fight off any bacteria.

But in the future, fill your airlocks with starsan or something, just in case. In the worst case scenario that reverse pressure actually sucks in from the airlock, starsan is supposedly actually nutritional to the yeast

Good to note, didn't know that regarding the starsan. I'm going to do that from now on.

To the OP: I keep a spray bottle filled with starsan on hand at all times. A dozen squirts in the airlock fills it up and the worries of deeply infected water molecules dancing with my beer go away. I'm going to throw the Sanitizer away anyhow, why not?

Yeah spray bottle of starsan is an ABSOLUTE MUST for my brewing repertoire. Just be sure the bottle is #1 recycle rating to prevent any leaching of chemicals

I use vodka in the airlock. Supposed to be decent sanitizer and a little suckback won't affect the flavor of the beer.

And you get to drink the airlock at the end of fermentation!

I use vodka in the airlock. Supposed to be decent sanitizer and a little suckback won't affect the flavor of the beer.

And you get to drink the airlock at the end of fermentation!

Hmmm, don't know about drinking the airlock vodka. I'd bet it tastes like a$$... You'll have to let us know.

Latest posts

Back