Sorry but yet another crushed grape skin kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KENfromMI

Reaction score
Getting ready to do my first kit, not just crushed grape kit but any kit. My only experience is with fresh juice pails. I was just reading my kit instructions on stirring the primary twice a day to keep the grape skins in the bag wet at all times. This will not be possible due to my work schedule. Anyone have any tips or tricks that I can use in lieu of the stirring twice a day? Also seems like it would be dangerous to open the primary that often. thanks in advance, Ken

i use a sanitized spoon...jam the bag to the bottom with the spoon to keep it wet and then prop it there with the lid....if that makes sense.

what crushed grape kit r u doing? i have done a bunch of them and they are great!!

Like thevalkyre says. Use the spoon/strirrer to jam bag to bottom of fermenter, stretch a tea towel across the top and tie it in place.
Pull towel taut to keep the spoon submerged. Care's needed when removing the towel for stirring, bag and spoon might try a quick exit!

Thanks, I was thinking, I bought a special bag when I was going to make a strawberry wine that fits inside the etnire fermenter and stays open on the top and locks in with the lid. I was wondering if I could use that and let the skins float freely on top of the wine with no bag. I can then lift the bag and squeeze it when I'm done. Only prob I see is the lees being in the bag as well but it was sold to me for making fruit wines which I ended up not doing. Valkrye, I bought two kits on close out a Cellarcraft GSM and a Rosso Fortisimo $100 each. These are my first kits since I have a local wine store in Detroit that sells 6 gallon pails of juice from $55 to $99 depending where they are from so I'm new to kits, Ken

Thanks, I was thinking, I bought a special bag when I was going to make a strawberry wine that fits inside the etnire fermenter and stays open on the top and locks in with the lid. I was wondering if I could use that and let the skins float freely on top of the wine with no bag. I can then lift the bag and squeeze it when I'm done. Only prob I see is the lees being in the bag as well but it was sold to me for making fruit wines which I ended up not doing. Valkrye, I bought two kits on close out a Cellarcraft GSM and a Rosso Fortisimo $100 each. These are my first kits since I have a local wine store in Detroit that sells 6 gallon pails of juice from $55 to $99 depending where they are from so I'm new to kits, Ken

Yes, I'd think you could do that with the bag. I tie mine, but it really doesn't matter, I guess.

Back