Soooo.... I "found" a 3yr old Carboy in the back of my basement....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillJoy

Reaction score
It was a cider, well... is a cider. The Airlock is still intact. Apparently it just got missed, buried and forgotten. It has been at a rather constant temp, wrapped in a towel.

What are the odds that is could be bottled and turn out well?

Thanks!!!

Best to see how it is now and decide what to do. If you like it now, use most of it as you wish. If it isn't still good I'd make vinegar which is a premium product for sure.

+1 for vinegar, I can't imagine that a fruit fly hasn't managed to find its way in there in three years. Could be some great vinegar though!

so got to try it! i bet it is da bomb

Taste it. All these threads start this way.

Did you taste it? What does it taste like? Should I taste it? I haven't tasted it yet. yada yada yada.....50 + posts later, I tasted it and it was no bueno. Everyone is sad.

So taste it.

• If it tastes like flat warm cider bottle/keg it
  • If it tastes like anything else dump it.

My money is on the latter.

Edit:

Actually my money is on shenanigans.

It only took you a year and a half of brewing to forget about a big ol' batch of cider and a carboy. Weren't you puzzled where your 1.5 yr old kit for your relatively new hobby had gone? Sorry for my being a sceptical killjoy.

It was a cider, well... is a cider. The Airlock is still intact. Apparently it just got missed, buried and forgotten. It has been at a rather constant temp, wrapped in a towel.

What are the odds that is could be bottled and turn out well?

Thanks!!!

go for it I say.
An old colleague gave me a Home brew he made back in 1995 (20 years old)
Bottled and just forgotten about. It actually tasted good. you could tell it had some real age on it. but good nonethe less.

Provided the airlock etc hasn't dried out, it should still be ok i think.

Taste it. All these threads start this way.

Did you taste it? What does it taste like? Should I taste it? I haven't tasted it yet. yada yada yada.....50 + posts later, I tasted it and it was no bueno. Everyone is sad.

So taste it.

• If it tastes like flat warm cider bottle/keg it
  • If it tastes like anything else dump it.

My money is on the latter.

Edit:

Actually my money is on shenanigans.

It only took you a year and a half of brewing to forget about a big ol' batch of cider and a carboy. Weren't you puzzled where your 1.5 yr old kit for your relatively new hobby had gone? Sorry for my being a sceptical killjoy.

When you have many batches AND move..... you are bound to lose a few.

:)

When you have many batches AND move..... you are bound to lose a few.

:)

A few!

The Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?

May I see it?

tumblr_lgb8y4kSLR1qbxn7go1_500.jpg

I guess we will find out once KillJoy gets out of the hospital. :cross:

You had gotten me a little bit curious with your finding, so I went to survey my basement.

I found a 15 year old carboy full of wine. Actually, I also found a 3 year old demijohn full of wine. Strangest thing, though, both airlocks were intact and they were both still fermenting.

You had gotten me a little bit curious with your finding, so I went to survey my basement.

I found a 15 year old carboy full of wine. Actually, I also found a 3 year old demijohn full of wine. Strangest thing, though, both airlocks were intact and they were both still fermenting.

The magic of Christmas

I've been wondering about this... Are there any semipermeable carboy caps on the market? I am bulk aging several big beers and I'd rather trust a cap than an airlock for 12+ months.

Indeed. I mean, you know, just because I have a 15 year old carboy doesn't mean that I shouldn't use it ;-)

I'm not going to make the same Aurora Borealis quip. You probably can see it from your kitchen.;)

Hyvää Joulua to you and yours Podz. Enjoy your newfound magic-wine.

I'm not going to make the same Aurora Borealis quip. You probably can see it from your kitchen.;)

Hyvää Joulua to you and yours Podz. Enjoy your newfound magic-wine.

Will enjoy it if it ever finishes fermenting. Maybe I should have used my 20 year old carboy...

Hyvää joulua teillekin.

Indeed. I mean, you know, just because I have a 15 year old carboy doesn't mean that I shouldn't use it ;-)

Unless it's glass! Then dispose of it in a sealed container while wearing heavy leather gauntlets. We've all read THOSE threads too.

Back