Something wrong with this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaxonJackson

Reaction score
So I'm relatively new to homebrewing and I decided to start with mead because it seemed like the simplest recipe. I made 3 batches that fermented well and tasted great, but one of my recent batches just didn't act right. For instance, when I did my first few batches I had to be careful stirring them the first few days because they would "volcano" if I wasn't gentle, but this one didn't bubble much at all. The airlock only bubbled for the first few days then stopped. I thought maybe I killed my yeast somehow so I pitched some more and it acted more or less the same (bubbled for a day then stopped). Checked the pH and it was somewhere between 3-4 which didn't seem crazy low to me. My other batches bubbled slow and steady for about 3 weeks so I feel like there's something wrong with this batch. The only difference I can think of between the batches is that I used my tap water as opposed to bottled water for this one and we do have a water softener, could that affect it? I'll do a spec. grav. check later today.

It smells okay (just like my other batches) so I'm going to taste test it, but my concern is that somehow its been infected or compromised. Might be a stupid question but can this stuff make you sick if there is some bacterial infection? There's no foam or mold and it looks okay, just wanted to check here before I end up on some weird mead yeast acid trip or something ;)

Yes, tap water if treated certainly could affect your yeast. (Chlorine, Florine, Salt from a softener with chlorine etc all could be problematic. Someone better suited to address the water and or chemistry should chime in here.

Best advice i have for you is to check your Gravity with a hydrometer a couple of days apart if still dropping then your likely OK. There are things you can do to correct a stall if it has stopped and to try to overcome the chemicals. In the case of a stall you can generally overcome it. Depending on the water treatment that could be more of a problem.

Thanks, CKuhns. Ya I think that might have been the issue. The gravity was way low so I did a taste test and there was definitely something off about it. Not sure how to describe it, I always taste a little of my batches before racking and they're a bit strong and quite yeasty but the taste is pleasant. This batch had a funky aftertaste that I'm betting won't age well so I'm just gonna toss it. I'm guessing our city water is the culprit.

I did another batch 3 days ago with purified water and its bubbling along great so I think I've learned my lesson. I did have another question though: RAISINS. I've heard conflicting opinions, do the raisins help feed the yeast or is that a myth?

Myth. Raisins have some nutrients needed for mead, that perhaps the basis of the myth, but they don't have it in near the quantities needed.

Think of it this way, raisins are just dried grapes. Wine (made from whole grapes, and a whole lot of them) still needs nutrient added, so there is no way that the handful of raisins is going to give you all the nutrient you need in your mead.

Back