Some trouble shooting help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Risy1

Reaction score
So I was working on a Cali Common using WLP810 and had bottom fermenting work looking normal, On day 5 I got some top fermenting action and my only guess is that my Carboy wasn't as clean as I wanted it to be and some WLP001 got in there. On day 7 I followed the recipe I made and added my dry hop addition.

That hop addition was 2 weeks ago, so I'm going on a month in primary.
I still have krauzen however. I haven't done a gravity check yet, but wasn't sure if i should wait till the krauzen breaks down.

I'm curious of a few things. With my presumed dual yeast in my beer, is that causing my krauzen to fall differently?
do you guys have hop hang ups?
Is temperature a factor in this?

I was thinking about cold crashing it. but I don't really have a fridge yet. So I have an odd idea. I'm gonna buy a large trashcan, insulate it with a blanket. and put a few trashbags to put ice in. Is this like a stupid idea?
If I do it for 48 hours, I can schedule it in a way that's not cumbersome on my personal life and keep it icy.

Any advice?

Top fermenting and bottom fermenting just refers to a slower lager ferment compared to a active ale ferment. The yeast is actually in the middle as the wort churns during fermentation it just appears to be top or bottom because the activety is more or less at higher and lower temps. For WLP 810, if you are making a steam beer then the fermentation will be more active at the higher steam beer temps and look more like an ale yeast, but with the characteristics of a lager beer as that type of lager yeast is selected for higher temps. You may well just have the 810 in there, but who knows. If there's a question a little more time might give you a better understanding as to what is going on.

I use 810 alot and have never had krausen after 4 weeks. I have also never dry hopped it. Take a taste and gravity sample. See what that tells you.

So I checked my gravity, it was 1.010 from a OG of 1.062. I think I had residual hop just floating, so i made an Ice bath for it, and it dropped out in 2 days. I bottled it today. It taste really nice actually! Thank you all for the help!

Back