some non-pressing questions about my first high OG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoross

Reaction score
I have a little over 5 gals of a 1.090 DIPA in a carboy doing it's thing. Many things about this batch are unusual to me, and I'd like to learn about the process more so that I am more knowledgeable for future batches. These questions aren't worries, just inquiries.
  1. I was expecting 1.080 via BeerSmith but ended up with a 1.090. During boil I followed my own recipe religiously. The only difference was that after removing the grain bag that had been seeping at 160 F for 30m, I paused my boil clock until I was at a rolling boil, ready for the extracts and hops. Would this have bumped me from 1.080 to 1.090, or could something else have affected this? Or is this within random error or formula error?
  2. Since Beersmith shows an expected 1.080->1.019 and I'm starting at 1.090, should I expect a 1.019 still? Or something higher? (WLP001)
  3. I pitched this at about 8pm Wednesday. At 6am Thursday, this was bubbling ferociously, more than I have ever seen with my previous ~1.065 batches. This also started sooner, as I'm used to a 36-hour+ lag. I used a 2L starter this time (my first starter; the brewshop advised me against the mrmalty.com starter amounts). Does that explain the bubbling? I also never saw turbulence and currents from CO2 production in the wort. Is the high level of production due to the high source of food? Or due to the high amount of yeast cells from the starter? Or both?
  4. I've read about people looking to avoid too FAST a primary fermentation. What might the possible consequences this be, and how would one compensate, assuming no indoor temperature control? ie no a/c
  5. With such a high activity level, I'm not entirely sure how to tell if primary is done. Is "BUBBLING-STOPPED" still the tell-tale sign that it's ready to check the FG?

I have a little over 5 gals of a 1.090 DIPA in a carboy doing it's thing. Many things about this batch are unusual to me, and I'd like to learn about the process more so that I am more knowledgeable for future batches. These questions aren't worries, just inquiries.
  1. I was expecting 1.080 via BeerSmith but ended up with a 1.090. During boil I followed my own recipe religiously. The only difference was that after removing the grain bag that had been seeping at 160 F for 30m, I paused my boil clock until I was at a rolling boil, ready for the extracts and hops. Would this have bumped me from 1.080 to 1.090, or could something else have affected this? Or is this within random error or formula error?

1. I don't know much about all grain, but my guess is that you got more boil off than expected. Humidity could be down, ambient temp is cooler, both of which contribute to more boil and therefore higher OG.

[*] Since Beersmith shows an expected 1.080->1.019 and I'm starting at 1.090, should I expect a 1.019 still? Or something higher? (WLP001)

My guess is that it will still be a bit higher. My intuition says about 1.022 or so.

[*] I pitched this at about 8pm Wednesday. At 6am Thursday, this was bubbling ferociously, more than I have ever seen with my previous ~1.065 batches. This also started sooner, as I'm used to a 36-hour+ lag. I used a 2L starter this time (my first starter; the brewshop advised me against the mrmalty.com starter amounts). Does that explain the bubbling? I also never saw turbulence and currents from CO2 production in the wort. Is the high level of production due to the high source of food? Or due to the high amount of yeast cells from the starter? Or both?

The lag time is definitely shorter when using a starter. And the extra bubling is probably a combination of the starter and the higher amount of fermentable sugars. It could also be a better seal or something causing more pressure.

[*] I've read about people looking to avoid too FAST a primary fermentation. What might the possible consequences this be, and how would one compensate, assuming no indoor temperature control? ie no a/c

What people are more worried about is overpitching, which can mess up the yeast and make the brew not as flavorful as one would hope. this thread deals with it more closely. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/possible-over-pitch-yeast-79391/ Luckily it is very hard to truly over-pitch the yeast. Next time though, I suggest sticking to mrmalty.

[*] With such a high activity level, I'm not entirely sure how to tell if primary is done. Is "BUBBLING-STOPPED" still the tell-tale sign that it's ready to check the FG?

Bubbling isn't really a good indicator. I would suggest waiting at least two or three weeks, then check. A month would be even better and would probably help clear it up some. The yeast will continue to do their job, and you wouldn't begin to get any issues until at least 3 or 4 months in, if ever. Many people leave their beer on the cake for 1 month minimum, and with a big beer like that, it is almost a must. I say, wait 6 weeks, and bottle. Take a grav reading to be sure, and to check ABV.

001 is pretty aggressive. I would not be surprised to see it go into the teens or even lower, depending (on extract type, pitch rate, ferment profile, O2, whatev).

As to #4. It isn't really the speed of fermentation we are trying to control. That is a byproduct of temperature which we are trying to control. Go to Wal-Mart (That is the only place I know that has them. I hate to shop there for their made in China crap) and back in the laundry department where they sell baskets you will find these huge plastic tubs with ropes for handles. Take it to the coolest spot in your house, put your bucket/carboy in it, fill it with water, throw in a couple of those plastic blue frozen ice packs, cover the bucket with an old tee-shirt with a lot of it hanging in the water, and turn a fan on it. In Spring, Fall, and Winter, it is all you need in most parts of the country to do ales. In the Summer you need to look at other options.

To get a better idea of what I am talking about search for "Swamp Cooler".

Back