Some mold or not some mold. That is the question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kojidog

Reaction score
Cut my scoby in half to start X2 1 gallon brews and gave the mother to my mom. Does this look healthy? I don't see any fuzz and I'm wondering if it's just you store whatever. your opinions?
dPREcaI.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't see any that could be wrong. The brown/black thingy is just yeast.

It doesn't *look* like mold to me, but it's kind of hard to tell from the picture.

My SCOBY gets these dark stringy tendrils after a while (I've heard some people refer to them as the SCOBY's "beard"). That's kind of what this looks like to me.

It could be yeast, but it looks slightly abnormal. If there is any blue or green coloration to it, it is mold and you should toss it. Red/brown coloration indicates yeast in this case.

To me it looks fine. The brown/black bit can be off putting but it does look like yeast. I know I was put off when this happened to me and I googled a few images about yeast in scoby/kombucha tea and the images were similar to yours.

Back