Some interesting first year growing observations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarshall

Reaction score
This is my first year growing and I am very pleased with the results. I am in Central VA and grew two cascade vines up the back of my deck of my townhouse. I read that you shouldn't expect much production first year, but I have now had 3 harvests, with the one today being the best. I'm estimating at least 6 oz dry altogether.
I'm most impressed because I don't think I have ideal conditions, but they seem to love it. They don't get full sun, probably half a day. They are also growing next to a fence/block wall right next to limestone gravel that goes several feet deep. Which bring me to my first question/observation. Has anyone noticed that hops like limestone?
The other strange thing i've noted is that the hop cones that grew under the deck (out of the sun) ripen slower, as expected, but have a somewhat different aroma. Despite being less springy, and not having much color, they seem to have more humulin glands. The aroma is somehow stronger, but less harsh, perhaps more noble in character. Has anyone else noticed this? Should we be "bagging" the hops cones on the vine during maturation? I may try this next year.

I'd just mix all the hops together and the aroma will equal out. As for your first observation, hops like well drained soils and that's probably why growing them near the gravel helped. You can find them near water sources in the wild. Generally, the floodplain area near a river, stream will have accumulated a ton of small stones over time and this allows for great drainage during the dry periods. Keep at it!

This was my first year growing hops also and I didn't have high expectations at all. But, I am envious that you had 3 more harvests than I did! Hehe

The weather here sucked this year for any kind of crops!

i live in NC and it was way to hot to grow casscade

I think you might have more luck with hops if you apply a thick layer of mulch over the root zone. Hops actually grow best at about 85 degrees, but they dislike hot soil temps. The mulch acts like an insulating layer against the heat.

Latest posts

Back