Some honey varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has made a mead with cotton, huajilla, or mesquite honey? If so, how did it taste?

I'm going to the farmer's market tomorrow, and it is possible I might find these varieties, in addition to clover and wildflower.

I've used manzanita honey. The honey has great flavor, but I haven't noticed all that much of a difference in the mead. Haven't tried the ones you mention.

Never tried cotton, never heard of "huajilla," but I can tell you from experience that mesquite is a VERY tasty honey! Regards, GF.

I went to the farmer's market in Dallas, and there were four or five vendors selling locally-produced honey. A couple were selling only quarts and smaller. There were a couple selling honey in gallons. The prices weren't much better than at my LHBS, about .50 to .80 cents a pound less.

I went ahead and bought some Texas wildflower honey from Rudy's Honey, even though the price wasn't great. They had a booth at the market. It is dark and has a powerful aroma and flavor, but none of the bitterness of the clover honey I recently bought at the grocery store. I made 5 gallons of a 3 pound mead with it yesterday using Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast. I hope it comes out good.

The folks from Round Rock Honey in Round Rock near Austin were at the market too. Let me tell you, they had some fine tasting and wonderfully smelling honey. I think it might be better than Rudy's, but I didn't want to pay $40 per gallon for it. I can buy 60 pounds (5 gallons) for $150 shipped free. I may do that.

In view of the comments on Mesquite honey, I'm going to find a source for that too, and buy 5 gallons if I can.

I'll be making a lot of mead with all that honey. I still don't have a clue what mead tastes like, but I haven't found too many alcoholic beverages I didn't like, so I'm not too worried. Fermented Turpentine (Ouzo) is about the only one I've ever tried that I really didn't like.

Back