solubility of CO2 vs. N20 (nitrous "carbing")

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
Below is a picture of the solubility data of co2 and n2o.

ForumRunner_20131125_175359.png

One is listed in grams per liter while the other is listed in fraction of grams per 100ml.

Im not sure how to convert it, but if its just a matter of adding a zero and moving a decimal over on the n2o, then it looks to me like the n2o is 1.5g per liter. That would mean relative equal solubility between the two... right? Can some one check my numbers?

Obviously, I would like to try force "carbing" with nitrous oxide.

Possible or no?

Sum up my question here:
If I pressurize my keg with 15lbs of n2o for 7 days at 34 degrees F at 3, 600ft elevation, will it be fizzy like I used co2 in the same way?

I've always assumed there is zero dissolution of nitrous, and it's only purpose is to allow for high-pressure dispensing.
A quick check shows CO2 is roughly 100 times more soluble in water than nitrogen, but I'm not sure that jibes with what I've read about nitrogenating beers with a 75/25 Nitrogen/CO2 mix. The math doesn't seem to work...

Cheers!

Below is a picture of the solubility data of co2 and n2o.

View attachment 162480

One is listed in grams per liter while the other is listed in fraction of grams per 100ml.

Im not sure how to convert it, but if its just a matter of adding a zero and moving a decimal over on the n2o, then it looks to me like the n2o is 1.5g per liter. That would mean relative equal solubility between the two... right? Can some one check my numbers?

Obviously, I would like to try force "carbing" with nitrous oxide.

Solubility changes drastically depending on temperature, and those figures are for temps 10°C apart, so you can't make the comparison you're trying to make with that info. Solubility is based on the Henry's constant for a particular gas, and at STP it's 0.034mol/kg*bar for CO2, compared to 0.025 for N2O, so nitrous oxide is slightly less soluble than CO2 at STP. I don't know what the solubility curves look like between the two for various pressures or temperatures, but I'm guessing that N20 is also slightly less soluble at serving temps and pressures.

May I ask what you're trying to accomplish? As the link above shows, forcing N2O into your beer probably won't result in anything tasty or enjoyable. If you simply want something approximating carbonation, but with a different gas, I don't know of anything that would be practical, but I'd absolutely opt for something that's tasteless and odorless. If you're trying for a "nitro" beer, like Guinness, then you need a nitro faucet, and a blend of CO2 and nitrogen (N2), not nitrous oxide.

Sum up my question here:
If I pressurize my keg with 15lbs of n2o for 7 days at 34 degrees F at 3, 600ft elevation, will it be fizzy like I used co2 in the same way?

No. It will result in less fizz, but the fizz will want to escape more, making more foam, and it will impart a strange flavor to your beer.

I've always assumed there is zero dissolution of nitrous, and it's only purpose is to allow for high-pressure dispensing.
A quick check shows CO2 is roughly 100 times more soluble in water than nitrogen, but I'm not sure that jibes with what I've read about nitrogenating beers with a 75/25 Nitrogen/CO2 mix. The math doesn't seem to work...

Cheers!

The OP is asking about nitrous oxide, not nitrogen. Two very different gases.

Back