solder on copper turned color - should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legaleagle

Reaction score
I am getting back into brewing after a several year lay off. I created a Jamil-type whirlpool mod to my pump/CFC setup and, to further tweak that, I sweated a small copper "T" shaped pipe that threads inside my brew kettle valve and hugs the inside lower walls in order to maximize post-boil run off and leave trub behind. After I sweated this small copper contraption with flux and silver lead-free solder, I heated all the piping, rinsed and cleaned off any remaining flux/carbon, and immersed it in StarSan for a while. By that point it looked completely oxidized (not shiny anymore). So, I went ahead and used it in brew session this past weekend. All went very well (seems like I haven't lost the touch :rockin:) with only one concern: the exposed solder on the copper pipe (I am not an expert at this so not all of the solder I laid sucked into the joint - some of it is exposed) turned color from shiny silver to to a somewhat shiny goldish-greenish color. Is this something I need to be concerned about in terms of chemicals/metals in the beer? I know beer has a low PH so leaching somethng bad is a concern. The yeast are unaffected, happily fermenting away as I type - my main concern is will I be drinking something I should not be...

The only thing you should be concerned with is whether your solder is lead free.

Lots of solders have lead in them still, they also contain tin, antimony, Indium, bismuth, and copper

A little oxidation of the tin or silver is meaningless.

cliff- thanks. this is what i was hoping to hear! i used a no lead silver solder - that much i already knew.

Back