Soft wall copper tubing for keg outlet line.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turvis

Reaction score
Has any one ever used this? I hooked up a new line to my second tap and found it has a plastic taste. I was thinking of using ten foot sections of 1/4 inch ID tubing and using a two inch section for the connection to the barbs for both my taps. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't use copper on finished beer, the acidic environment won't play well with the copper. Look into the other beer line options (the more rigid poly tubing comes to mind, accuflex), but rule out copper.

Could I use stainless tubing if so any I ideas on the grade.

Any grade stainless would work for that if that's the route you want to take. Keep in mind though that the internal roughness of the stainless tubing will be different than the roughness of plastic tubing, you'll need a different length of tubing compared to plastic to get a good pour. You'll have to look that info up.
You're definitely opposed to the accuflex stuff? I haven't used it, but from what I've read, the folks that have really like it once you get it installed.

Not opposed to using it but I kegged beer last night for a family get together on Christmas Eve and don't think I could get it in time. I can get the stainless here in town I believe.

Ah, I see. Stainless will work then, but do be aware of the line resistance issue. I'd hate for you to drop a lot of money on stainless tubing and it give you a bad pour because your lines are too short.
If I were in your shoes, I'd get on the phone to Birdman, Farmhouse, or one of the others that carry accuflex and see if they can hook you up with some by Friday. I bet it'd be cheaper than stainless, and you'd be happier in the long run.

I am going to do some research I saw birdman has free shipping so I will see.

Just looked, farmhouse is cheaper right now but not sure about shipping. Get the 50' length, split it and put 25' on each of your two taps and be done with the plastic taste for good.
Don't curse my name when you're putting the connectors on though, I hear that's a pain.

You'd use compression fittings on the stainless tubing? I guess that could work, but it would be a real crap shoot re: line length.

I do have the accuflex and I love it. Plan on 15-20 feet per line.

Although the "plastic" taste could just be because your tubing is new. Try a few rounds of hot oxiclean/PBW soaking before giving up on it.

I put forty feet of the 3/16" stuff on a tap for soda, worked awesome. It is insanely hard to get the fittings on. Make sure you have boiling water.

Latest posts

Back