Soaking Bourbon Barrel Char chips in a growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall_tucker

Reaction score
If you guys know of a thread talking about this, please direct me, I wasn't able to dig one up, probably because this will be a bit unconventional.

I was visiting Willett Distillery and bought a jar of bourbon barrel char chips on a whim for s**ts and giggles. Meanwhile I currently have a batch of porter conditioning/carb'ing in bottles (i bottled before the distillery visit w/o intention of doing this).

I was wondering about throwing a muslin bag with 0.5-1 oz of the chips into a 2L growler with some of the porter (carbonated of course). My main concern would be if the chips will serve as infinite sources of nucleation and pressurize the crap out of the growler. Am I assuming correct?

naturally, i would do this in secondary if i ever wanted to do it for real, but as i said, i'm already beyond that point with this batch and was contemplating giving it a try post-bottling, for experiment's sake. i'm not ready to open bottles yet, but i can give it a try at that time, and monitor for issues. any thoughts in the meantime would be appreciated.

you can search this in search bar, i think it is the most easiest way to find any thread in this particular forum.

Back