So should I feel bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have copied some one else's (on this forum) label to use as my own.:(

I kind of feel bad about it but at the same time I don't.
It's not like I'm using their label really, just the basic format of it. I like the label, it's simple, clean, easy to change for any brew and leaves enough room to be creative to a certain degree.

So should I feel bad about this or should I just not care? Is it a big deal? Is this going to piss that person off?
Would it piss you off or would you be honored by the fact that I would want to copy you?

thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

that's a pretty simple design. you change the color and the picture and it's yours. no one can accuse you of stealing it. i'd say your were "inspired" by their design ;)

I'm guessing those are both yours by reading your signature. I dunno if you really need to worry about it. I imagine you changed the pics, and the brewery name. Maybe the copyright holder of the nurse pictures might have a problem.....

My logo, www.howlinowl.com has a palm tree that I borrowed off of the 'net. Did a google search for palm tree graphics, Downloaded it, resized it, changed the color and incorporated it into the logo.

Most of the logos, and labels here are for "virtual" breweries, anyway....it's all pretend.

Allan

howlinowl said:
I'm guessing those are both yours by reading your signature. I dunno if you really need to worry about it. I imagine you changed the pics, and the brewery name. Maybe the copyright holder of the nurse pictures might have a problem.....

My logo, www.howlinowl.com has a palm tree that I borrowed off of the 'net. Did a google search for palm tree graphics, Downloaded it, resized it, changed the color and incorporated it into the logo.

Most of the logos, and labels here are for "virtual" breweries, anyway....it's all pretend.

Allan
Yeah I don't plan to be able to sell my brew, at least not for a very long time.

Like I said, it's a very simple and easy design that I can change without much problem. Which is a good thing seeing how I'm a cad designer not a photo editor. :D I suck at that.

i havent seen the other design...but I am a designer and copy people work is a big no no, being inspired by another design is a different thing so I cant say much on this...as long as you just doing it for fun I dont htink it is a big deal if either of you were to sell the product with the label then there may be an issue depending on the person.
But if you were selling it I think there would be some rework involved anyways because you would have issues with the photos and legibility

Always ask permission. Especially if it has a copyright, wouldn't want any legal woes. But since you're not actually making money off it and it's not straight up stealing, it should be fine. But definitely ask the original creator.

Um, someone drew two colored rectangles in MS Paint. No offense to you or the dude you thieved them from, but...if I were gonna steal someone's design, I'd definitely gank one that's actually worth stealing.

My advice to you: open up MS Paint, select the rectangle tool, and close your eyes. Now draw some stuff. Okay, open your eyes. I'd put money on the new design being better than the one you stole.

Evan! said:
Um, someone drew two colored rectangles in MS Paint. No offense to you or the dude you thieved them from, but...if I were gonna steal someone's design, I'd definitely gank one that's actually worth stealing.

My advice to you: open up MS Paint, select the rectangle tool, and close your eyes. Now draw some stuff. Okay, open your eyes. I'd put money on the new design being better than the one you stole.

LOL !!

How's the arm, Evan? Feeling any better?

Evan! said:

Do you know what I find even more funny then your post?
The fact that I engineer around $15,000,000.00 worth of automotive tooling a year and drawing basic shapes in MS Paint is about the best I can do when it comes to making a label. LOL
I work with 3D cad models not 2D pictures. Oh well, thanks for your input, it's always nice to hear from the other side.
leaving.gif

I don't mind if you borrow my ideas and designs...after all, I was the one who posted them on the Internet. However, if you do, I would appreciate a picture of your changes and some credit...

For the record, I don't think anyone's borrowed my labels yet...maybe they suck.

(In my humble opinion & not to be taken as legal advise)

Imitation is the sincerest from of flattery.

From what I've been reading recently you have exclusive rights to your work under copyright laws for your entire lifetime.

There at things you can do to protect those rights such as file witten work with the Libary of Congress, file for Trademark or Registered Trade name with the USPTO.

Then you'd still have to file a law suit and win to collect any damages.

More often than not you would simply get a cease and desist letter if somebody objected and that would be the end of it, unless you continued to violate a copyright or tradename. The vast majority of people would be unable to afford to mount a legal challenge, Large corporations are another matter.

brloomis said:
LOL !!

How's the arm, Evan? Feeling any better?

Getting better by the day. Still very tender, but the swelling is almost down to normal. The damned antibiotics suck, though. Diarrhea, nausea, and massive headaches. So I'm having trouble focusing. But it's better than losing an arm, I guess...

On the plus side, I had a "dry" night last night for the first time in a long time. I usually have at least a glass of wine or beer, even if I'm not officially drinking that night. Last night, though, I think the nausea was enough of a mind alteration for me. :(

Thanks for asking!

Back