So My House was robbed last night...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
Last night I came home from work, opened the front door and noticed the tv stand had been moved away from the wall. As I walked further into the house I saw my back door splintered and wide open.

I called the police and after doing a quick walkthrough realized that if I had owned an electronic device I didn't anymore. The strange thing is that they didn't take my TV.

The police officer said that based on what was taken and the proximity to the local high school that it was probably teenagers. I had seen kids crossing through my yard before but never really noticed anyone casing the place out.

The kicker is that we've been lax on home security up until last week when my girlfriend and I were both out of town. All the windows were locked and both doors were locked and dead bolted.

I can't get over that someone would kick down my back door. Anyway I let all the neighbors know, and the good news is that my homeowner's insurance (USAA) probably will cover some of the stolen items.

USAA has been great to me over the years! Sorry to here you got robbed though, that is never a fun exp...at least from your comments they didn't take your Beers!!!:tank:

They didn't and that amazes me. My garage has two or three cases of homebrew in bottles just sitting there.

Keep an eye out guys especially with the holidays and the economy as it is now. The police officer told me that people get desperate around the holidays and if it looks like it could be present they'll grab it.

We're moving into our first house and we're already getting paranoid about security. Anyone heard of the jackass kid Colton Harris-Moore? Where he's at is where we're moving. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but it's good you have good insurance.

Darwin, that just sucks. I hope you guys bounce back quickly, and that the insurance covers more than just some of it. ... not sure RDWHAHB will help here... It's great you're close with the cops and the neighbors; maybe you all can learn one anothers' schedules and keep an eye out for this stuff. And let's hope that the thieves move on to honest endeavors, or at least are prevented from robbing others.

Sorry about your loss, I know how you feel. We were broken into and robbed while we were at work last Christmas Eve, of all days. Came home from work and all the jewelry was stolen. We got a security system the next week. Best peace of mind I could buy and the only thing that made us feel safe.

We're moving into our first house and we're already getting paranoid about security.
My advice is arm yourself! My house was robbed a few years back and my wife and I felt very violated.She had trouble sleeping for awhile as did I. I went on constant alert to everything. I suddenly became aware of the new faces walking in the neighborhood. I'd catch myself saying "How many times did that same car pass the house?" "Why is that car just sitting there?" "Who's this on the caller I.D. that I don't recognize?" Are they calling to see if we are home?

That got old real quick needless to say so I decided to practice my constitutional right and get my LTCF (licence to carry a firearm). I can assure you, its a great thing to know that if some piece of sh*t thinks they are going to try and make victims out of you and your loved ones, the ability to adequately defend yourself is better than hoping for the best. Check out your local laws and apply for your permit to carry. :)

A couple weeks ago over 13 cars in my neighborhood (including 2 of ours) were entered in one night. We were lucky and nothing was taken (nothing to take) except change and no windows were broken (others weren't so lucky). I have been on edge ever since, suspicious of everyone. Not a good feeling. The crazy part is that no one heard anything and if they did the cops would be here in <2 minutes.

Concealed carry is nice, so is arming your house.
If someone breaks into my house when I am not there, they will most likely not survive it.

Not sure that's legal in any state here. Booby trap your house and kill a burgler and you'll be charged with manslaughter at the very least.

We're moving into our first house and we're already getting paranoid about security. Anyone heard of the jackass kid Colton Harris-Moore? Where he's at is where we're moving. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but it's good you have good insurance.

I did a google search on that moore assshaole. That fact that he is being lauded as a hero is sickening.

Just as sickening is the story in the abc news link to another story about the mass cat murderer in miami. What a twisted psychopath that needs to be removed from society for the rest of his life. And not because of the cats, which is horrifying, but because of the obvious and inevitable escalation to human murder in the future. There is plenty of evidence that such a monster can not be cured.

I suspect that all 'folk heroes' are beign worshiped based on the myth, not the facts and he's no different.

sorry to hear about your misfortune. having good insurance always helps.

my wife and i had an alarm system put in our home within 6 monthes of moving in. bet you a$$ if someone tries to break into our home, the alarm will sound and the cops will be on their way.

not to got too far off the topic, but the alarm system can also come in handy just in case there may happen to be a fire, especially if you're away from home.

I dunno with USAA. I got ****ed by them.

I had my roof ripped to shreds during a storm. Every roofer I called and got a quote from quoted 2800-3200 to fix it. USAA would only pay to have the section fixed. No roofer would "fix" it. They would only rebuild the section. So I got $1K after paying my deductable and had to pay 1800 out of pocket. On top of that they raised my Premium to 1800 a year.

****ing scammers.

Buy a large dog.
Spread a rumor that you're a descendant of Attila the Hun.
Occasionally lounge outside in a lawn chair while cradling a shotgun. Sing to it.

Congratulations: you have just made your home secure on the cheap.

I heard about that guy... Seattle islands right? The one that stole the plane?

I have 2 dogs that would hopefully scare away any intruders. I would hate to be defenseless in my own home should I walk in on a robber or other miscreant, which is why I carry one of two guns every day, my primary is my .357 magnum, the other is the Taurus judge, its a revolver that I keep loaded with alternating rounds of .45 colt and 410 shotgun shells. After getting mugged while living in Chicago, I will never again be the helpless victim who cannot defend myself and those around me.

I own an American Pit Bull Terrier. She would just wag her tale when a person I don't know came in the house. But when people see one of these, with the media's help, they turn the other way.

Sorry to hear about your loss. These low life scum of humans would rather steal then work.
I wish more Americans would arm themselves and Kill robbers, murderers and rapist when things like this happen.

I own an American Pit Bull Terrier. She would just wag her tale when a person I don't know came in the house. But when people see one of these, with the media's help, they turn the other way.

That's typical of most house pets. In fact the easiest way to bypass a 'guard dog' is to open the door to the house and walk away. The dog will usually head outside. Then your friendly burglar can walk in, close the door behind them and take their time.

Sorry to hear that. I guess it's a reminder to us all to keep a lookout for each other and to tighten up some or our relaxed ways.

Sorry for your loss. I've not been robbed, but everytime I see something like this, I'm reminded that it's a real possibility.

It would be tacky, sure, but I figure converting one of these into a mailbox would be a good deterrent. If I were looking for a house to rob, I'd probably skip the one with the ammo can mailbox!

30callarge.gif

I like the ammo can idea myself. I was thinking about buying a bear trap, covering it with some leaves and hiding it in the back yard. The pit from The 300 would also be an ideal home defense item.

ATP home security came out and we ended up deciding on getting a home security system. It was about $500 and it's going to be a monthly bill, but the peace of mind knowing that we can go away for a few days and not worry too much.

Sorry for your loss. I've not been robbed, but everytime I see something like this, I'm reminded that it's a real possibility.

It would be tacky, sure, but I figure converting one of these into a mailbox would be a good deterrent. If I were looking for a house to rob, I'd probably skip the one with the ammo can mailbox!

Unless of course, they waited until you weren't home and robbed you then because they needed ammo for their AK. Or they wanted another AK. Figuring that there is probably a good chance to be some nice weaponry in a house with an ammo box mailbox. And seeing as most burglars make sure that no one is home prior to breaking in they could be comfortable in their chances of not getting shot.

That bites, but USAA has been very good to me over the years, starting with a totaled car two months after I signed up. The only thing anyone has ever stolen from me was a bicycle in grad school. I'm way off the road and have two large dogs. The male is jet black and 90 lbs. That's a tall 90 lbs as they are both retired racing greyhounds. From a distance, he looks like the world's biggest dobie.

From a distance, he looks like the world's biggest dobie.

I misread that as "doobie" at first. LOL

I have a big black dog that will give a pretty scary bark if he hears anyone outside, but if they get in he would most likely hold the door for them while they carry out my TV.

My advice is arm yourself!
That got old real quick needless to say so I decided to practice my constitutional right and get my LTCF (licence to carry a firearm). I can assure you, its a great thing to know that if some piece of sh*t thinks they are going to try and make victims out of you and your loved ones, the ability to adequately defend yourself is better than hoping for the best. Check out your local laws and apply for your permit to carry. :)

I've had my CWP for almost 10 years now. I totally agree.

Back