So my brother just said...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
So my brother just said that 9/10 times home beer tastes like top ramen. Now I haven't made my first round yet but I'm pretty sure he's wrong. He also said that home beer needs to be served warm. I'm thinking that if both were true than there would be no point in makeing home brewed bear. Kinda took my wind out of my sails for a moment.

So I guess my question is, is he right or wrong?

I've never made a beer that tastes like ramen and I have some homebrew sitting in the fridge right now.

I don't know where he got this information but it's wrong.

Stop listening to your brother! Forgive me for saying so but he is full of crap. ;)

I don't know what he has drank but in my 5 years of home brewing, I've never made a batch that tasted like noodles. We place our beers in the fridge and drink ours chilled.

I'm not sure where your brother is getting his information from, but homebrewed beer is just as good, if not better than commercial beer. You are making REAL beer, just like any other large brewery would make. Yes, there are some batches that may turn out horrible, but those can be avoided by using good recipes and proper, sterile techniques when brewing. Trust me, there's nothing more satisfying than sitting down with your buddies drinking beer you brewed.

Badly made homebrew tastes um bad...

Well made homebrew tastes great and can be as good as well made craft or commercial beer. As for serving temperature that depends on the beer style. US beer drinkers tend to drink beer colder then it should be - unless you are drinking BMC light American lagers.

GT

I'm new to brewing -- three batches to date...

I'm thrilled with the taste of the first two, the third is still in the secondary, but the samples are promising!

I do however like them warm... I actually prefer the Belgian trippel at 68* over 50*

If you brew a style of ale that you like, I'm sure that you'll enjoy your Home Brew!

I am particularly fond of Macro Bear but, then again, I have never tried home brewing a bear.

Not sure I'd have a big enough pot for a full boil of brewed bear anyways.

As for beer, he is right according to his palate and likely the skilset of the brewer(s) of which beers he's tasted. But he is wrong to assert that all homebrew has that taste.

As for what temp to serve, that depends on preference. Yours and yours alone. Some beer I like cold, some warm, homebrew or commercial.

I knew it, thanks so much all of you. Now I can go tell him to keep his mouth shut until my first comes out of the brewery.

I think there is a big misconception that homebeer is bad. At least that was the conception in the past. I know I've known a few people who have brewed and had disasters. either the beer was skunked or something so it tasted really really bad, or the carboy/bucket blew it's lid before the beer could be sampled.

I had a boss that got a kit for christmas or something and his beer wasn't that good. not worth doing again if it was going to come out the same way again.

When I told him I was brewing my first batch (ten years ago) and he made a comment about " good luck..won't taste good, not worth it.." I brought him in a couple of beers after they'd been in the bottle for a few weeks and he was VERY suprised. He didn't think homebrew could be that good. and that was my first batch.. (I just followed the directions and kept everything clean..)

Have fun proving your brother wrong. :)

Well, there are countless ways to make beer, and many of them WILL make bad tasting beer. But there are some very simple things to keep in mind when brewing that will nearly eliminate your chances of making bad beer.

1. Sanitize!
2. Watch temps.
3. Sanitize!

Well, there are more, but those are the big ones. Properly cooling wort, pitching correct amounts of yeast, etc. all help.

Whenever I mention that I brew at work, Everyone says "Oh This other guys here used to brew", his beer was vary good and was pretty flat, you making Budweiser?"
His beer could have been bad and flat, or he could have been making English milds and serving them to style.

For temps, it doesn't matter about homebrew vs commercial, it depends one style and preferences.
Tell your brother to drink a bud and stay away from your homebrew.

You have to remember, There is no magic trick between homebrew and commercial. Just more practice and and more consistency through better equipment and research. The ingredients and processes are the same.

okay your brother is just a buzz killer. Go brew some beer. And why is everyone mispelling BEER, it's not BEAR. You are not a homebrewer until you learn to spell BEER:tank:

Isn't that what brothers are supposed to do? Give their siblings crap about anything and everything they do, no matter what is actually true?

Might explain why my sister calls me "Dick" when my name is "Matt".

;)

WTF? I have never heard of, nor ever tasted beer that tasted like ramen. As for the warm bit, I happen to like my beers warm to room temperature, but it's just personal preference.

On the plus side, more beer for you!

Old canned stout beer kits will develop a soy sauce kind of flavor.

Make beer from scratch.

One problem I see a lot of is people who have never brewed before thinking they can formulate a recipe. They will be dissapointed.

Or they trust recipes floating on the internet. A lot of the recipes out there have problems.

Buy recipe kits from a store you can trust and learn from the ingredients in the kit.

It is a matter of knowing how much of an ingredient is too much. If you have cooked before, you know that a recipe might call for a cup of sugar. But if you saw a recipe that called for a cup of salt, you would know to question the recipe.

I would pick styles that you like and fine tune a recipe then tackle another style.

Forrest

If your brother hates ramen noodles, tell him he's right, and that'll be one less mooch you have hanging around taking up space and eating your snacks when your brew is ready :mug:

Of course if he likes ramen noodles, tell him it tastes a lot worse.

He's way wrong. I just started brewing in September of last year and I have now done 6 batches. I am amazed at how good my homebrew is. While this is a hobby, it is also way more than that. For various reasons, perhaps because the homebrew is custom made as opposed to any large scale operation, the beer is, in my opinion, superior to anything you can buy retail.

I love all the beer I have brewed but as an example, I have a brown ale recipe that gives me the best brown ale I have ever tasted anywhere. I cannot buy this beer. If I want it, and I do, I have to make it. I think that says it all.

Dennis

Well, I have to say, he's right. I've been brewing for a dozen years and what I do is toss every nine batches and keep the tenth, so I only drink the good ones.:rolleyes:

BTW he forgot the part about homebrew making you go blind.;)

Isn't it something how people that have never brewed seem to know everything about beer? :cross:

Ya know that is actually do-able. You would have to mash with some 2-row but ramen noodles are just wheat pasta. You would have a wheat beer. You could add the little packets of chicken or beef when you poured.....if you really wanted to.

Man, wouldn't that be a hoot. Make said ramen noodle beer, serve to snotty brother and when he says, "Hey, not bad" you tell him how you made it. Ask him if he wanted chicken or beef. Ha!

Maybe whoever made the homebrew he had before grabbed the packet that said "chicken" or "beef", instead of "yeast".

I wish my ramen tasted as good as my homebrew. Hmmm maybe instead of 2 cups of water I'll try using some beer instead. IPA Ramen anyone?

So is this going to be the March group-brew? Ramen Beer?

If someone would like to guess at a recipe, I'm sure others would be up for the challenge. I'd have a go with a 2 or 3 gallon batch. Would clear out some of my pantry.

Anyone else?

It sounds like it's time to prove your brother wrong. Make up a tasty kit to start, age it a week in the bottle, and pop the top on a tasty (cold) homebrew in front of your brother! Get him a warm glass of ramen noodles.

~M~

he's your brother right? So next time he say's something like that punch him in the face....really its ok just tell mom he started it.

Has he even had a home brewed beer ?

okay... now I'm seriously considering trying a one gallon batch of ramen beer...... I think it could be done...... would likely be horrible to the most extreme end of the word.... but I bet it could be done......

what do ya think... ten packs of noodles for the wort?

ok...I'm just kidding... I wouldn't put my poor yeasties through that experience!

Go for it man, or you ain't got a hair on your ash.
I double dog dare ya.

Tonight on Beers around the world. Ramen noodle beer, Next up, won ton beer.
All the details after this message from our sponsors.

New from Budweiser, sake flavored beer. It's lo carb!
[disclaimer:no beer was injured in the making of this commercial]

okay... now I'm seriously considering trying a one gallon batch of ramen beer...... I think it could be done...... would likely be horrible to the most extreme end of the word.... but I bet it could be done......

ok...I'm just kidding... I wouldn't put my poor yeasties through that experience!

The question I would have would be... do you rack off the noodles into your bottling bucket? Or include them in the bottles? :D

I think you'd want to have 1 lb of 2-row in there for diastic power, I don't eat Ramen but if I remember right I think the salt is just gonna destroy any possibility of this being good. Mash low to try to convert all you can, I'd mash for a couple hours so as not to have any starch left in the wort.

Just make sure it's BACON ramen!

Show your adopted brother (he must be adopted if he's that dumb) this:

Very cold (0-4C): Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Golden Ale, Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Cider.

Cold (4-7C): Hefe weizen, Kristal weizen, Kolsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C): American & Australian Pale Ale, Amber Ale, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Biere de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

Warm (14-16C): Barley Wine, Abt/Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Imperial/Double IPA, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Mead

Hot (70C): Dark, spiced winter ales.

Or include them in the bottles?

Definatly need to put it in the bottle for effect :) Of course I am not sure how long the noodle would retain its cohesion in the bottle before falling apart and settling in with the yeast at the bottom

Definatly need to put it in the bottle for effect :) Of course I am not sure how long the noodle would retain its cohesion in the bottle before falling apart and settling in with the yeast at the bottom

Sounds like priming with Ramen.

"So how much Ramen do I need to add to prime my beer?"

I am thinking a Shrimp Ramen Ale might go nicely with seafood.

he's your brother right? So next time he say's something like that punch him in the face....really its ok just tell mom he started it.

Has he even had a home brewed beer ?

Yes he 'said' he has but from not so very reliable sources. Oh and my mom, she'd jump into the game...or say it was our problem and walk into the kitchen to bake:)

Back