So much for having a nice weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DregAddict

Reaction score
So my long weekend road trip is in serious danger of derailing or being cancelled altogether. I was planning on taking the GF up to the mountains in Utah tonight and staying until Sunday, but on our way out of town we hit a snag. Her ex knew she was leaving town and decided to flip out and assault her phone with text messages and constant calls all afternoon. He basically threatened to ruin her weekend and make her life a living hell if she left town with me.

I know what you're thinking...have her turn off her phone and go enjoy the weekend...but there's a kicker...she has a two year old son with the ex and he is watching the little guy this weekend. The GF and myself obviously don't want the kid's dad doing anything while we are gone, so literally as we were merging onto the highway we decided to turn around and stay in Vegas for the night. She's trying to talk to the ex and get him to chill out, but depending on how it goes, our trip will either be delayed by one day or cancelled altogether.

Crappy situation. Sucks to let him control you guys like that, but you made the right call IMO.

Good luck.

Assuming there is nothing in the (divorce agreement?) legal documentation that says she can't leave the state until the kid turns 18...

The best you can do is document the crap out of anything and everything that he does. You really can't reciprocate this kind of behavior back on him, and even if you could, it wouldn't be recommended. But every time she needs to call him for whatever reason and he doesn't answer, write it down. Every time he causes any kind of disruption in your daily lives, write it down. You never really know what will help you in the future. As much as it sucks, you did the right thing. For the sake of the kid, ALWAYS take the high road. He deserves the best of both of his parents, and if it has to be just mom, then so be it. Let dad ruin his relationship with his son on his own.

Like the saying goes, don't argue with an idiot, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Back