So Ive been looking at the recipes here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdeye

Reaction score
and they all seem to be either partial mash or all grain. FYI, I dont what partial mash means, but I dont think its extract brewing, which is the peak of my skill level at the moment. Are there any good recipes here that are extract?

Thirdeye said:
and they all seem to be either partial mash or all grain. FYI, I dont what partial mash means, but I dont think its extract brewing, which is the peak of my skill level at the moment. Are there any good recipes here that are extract?

What are you looking for? I have an Extract Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone and a Oberon Extract with steep grains clone.

Partial mash is a little AG and a little extract.....but, mostly extract. In a partial mash, you get some of your fermentable sugars from a small grain mash, and the rest from extract. You usually don't need any extra equipment and it's way better. Once I went partial mash, I could never do just extract. The quality of the beer improves quite a bit. Can't wait to go AG.

I think you should look into doing partial mashes. It really isn't much work at all. Only a little more time. :)

Benny Blanco said:
Partial mash is a little AG and a little extract.....but, mostly extract. In a partial mash, you get some of your fermentable sugars from a small grain mash, and the rest from extract. You usually don't need any extra equipment and it's way better. Once I went partial mash, I could never do just extract. The quality of the beer improves quite a bit. Can't wait to go AG.

I think you should look into doing partial mashes. It really isn't much work at all. Only a little more time. :)

Cool thanks. Ill check into it.

RICLARK said:
What are you looking for? I have an Extract Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone and a Oberon Extract with steep grains clone.

Nothing in particular. A few clones are always welcome in my house though...Dogfish 60, Odell's IPA, 90 Shilling to name a few.

Thirdeye said:
Nothing in particular. A few clones are always welcome in my house though...Dogfish 60, Odell's IPA, 90 Shilling to name a few.

If you like Bells 2 Hearted Here is a Clone Recipe....

Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)
Type: Extract
Ingredients

Grains / Malt / Syrup / DME
6# Light DME
-or-
7# Light LME

Hops & Schedule
1oz Centennial AAU 9 - 60min
.5oz Cent. AAU 4.5 - 15min
.5oz Cent. AAU 4.5 - 10min
.5oz Cent. AAU 4.5 - 5min
.5oz Cent. AAU 4.5 - 0min
1oz Cent. AAU 9 - Dry-Hop

Adjuncts
.5# Crystal 20L
.5# Biscuit/Victory

Dry Yeast
(No starter required)
US-56
OG 1.050 FG 1.013
Directions

Heat 1 gallon of water to 155. Steep Grains for 1/2 hour.
Add water to bring volume to 3+ gallons, and bring to boil.
Remove from heat and stir in malt extract.
Return to heat, and bring to boil.
Add first ounce of Centennial, and boil for 45 minutes. Boil for an additional 15 minutes while adding last two ounces of Centennial, either spread evenly or 1/2 ounce every 5 minutes.
Remove wort from heat and cool to below 70 farenheit. Pour into fermenter and add cool water to top off to 5 gallons.
Pitch yeast on top of wort, seal fermenter, and store in a cool (65-70 farenheit) dark location for one week.
Rack beer to secondary, and add one ounce of Centennial pellets, and allow for at least one, preferably two, weeks in secondary.
At end of Secondary, add 3/4 cup Corn Sugar boiled with 2 cups water to bottling bucket, and rack beer into bottling bucket.
Bottle, age at least two weeks, and serve! If you're patient, this one really tastes great after 2-3 months in the bottle!

RICLARK said:

Please post it I would like to brew that clone..Thanks!

:off: Hey do you get you brew supplys @ The Red Salmander?

I've converted my DFH 60 minute clone to extract and steeping grains, as well as PM if you're interested.

Actually, just about ANY recipe can be converted to extract very easily. Just let us know which ones you want and we can help you.

Either partial mash or steeping grains will add to the character of your brews without much more work.

You can usually just convert the AG to extract.

Take the base grain from the recipe (usually the Pale 2-row, Marris Otter, Pilsener) and for every pound of that, use 0.6 lbs of DME or 0.75 lbs of LME.

Then, just steep the rest of the grains it calls for (some require actual mashing, but for the most part your crystals, chocolate, roasted barley are all steepable).

If you are playing with recipes vs kits a software program like Beersmith or Promash is really helpful. You can enter the recipe into the software as written by the brewer. Then you can change the boil volumes, replace the base malt with extract, and adjust the bittering hops to get the same results. i find this the easiest way to convert recipes.
Plus you can also see how any substitutions will affect the OG, color and bitterness and perhaps make adjustments. After all there are many varieties of malts and hops and most HBSes do not stock them all.

Craig

There are tons of good extract recipes in Papazian's book, The Joy of Homebrewing. Do you have it? Usually it comes with the starter kit. I highly recommend reading the whole book if you are just starting.

+1 on the PM, it will really improve your beers

+1 on the gushers being related to the amount of dextrose used. You will sometimes see these with an infection, but then the beer would taste like ass.

Ale to the Chief said:
Is there a thread here that explains partial mash brewing?
There's a detailed description in the HBT wiki, but it's for doing a PM with a Mash Lauter Tun, or a cooler. I just did a PM using guidelines from the book Brewing Classic Styles. The method from the book is for a stovetop mash using a regular pot and a nylon paint strainer bag. I got a nice strainer bag at the local Sherwin Williams paint store for a few bucks that had an elastic top that held nicely around the top of my pot and didn't slide into the pot. The process was to get water,1.5 quarts each per pound of grain, up to ~165°F and then add your crushed grain in the bag, and turn off the heat. Stir it up and your temp should be in the 150-155°F range. Put a cover on the pot and let it sit for 30 minutes. After that time is up turn the heat back on and bring the temp back up to 155°, then let it mash for another 30 minutes. While this is going on get a couple gallons in your boiling pot up to 165°F and when your mash is done take the grain bag out of the mashing pot and do a sparge by steeping the bag in the boiling pot for 10 minutes starting at the 165°F temp. Remove and discard the grain when done, and don't ever squeeze the grain, as this might release tannins that would be undesirable in your wort. Pour your wort from the mashing pot into the boiling pot and carry on with your extract additions and hopping like you would for an all extract brew. PM adds some time to your brewing session, but it should make a positive difference in your final product.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Porter fan said:
Please post it I would like to brew that clone..Thanks!

:off: Hey do you get you brew supplys @ The Red Salmander?

Yes sir I practically live at the Red Salamander Im always in there buying stuff they are great guys in there.

Oberone Clone:

6# Wheat LME
1.5 # Wheat DME

1 oz Perle 6.6 aau 60 min
.5 oz Saaz 3 aau 15 min
.5 Herzbrucker 3.3 aau 15 min
.5 Saaz 3 aau 2 Min
.5 oz Herzbrucker 3.3 2 min

If The red Salamander dont have all of these hops....use this...

1 Oz Saaz 60 Min
.5 oz Hallertaur 15 min
.5 oz Hallertaur 5 min

1 # Torrified Wheat
1 # Munich Steep until water comes to boil

Safale - s-05

O.g. 1.060
f.g. 1.010

Back