so im building an open source beer brewing app

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imnothardcore

Reaction score
Hey guys I took on a small fun side project since I am a front end programming newbie. Decided a fun thing to build would be a beer brewing app with a true cloud. Also I wanted to make it free since I gave ibrewmaster enough of my money. Also I really designed it to run best on a smartphone or tablet. you have to login with facebook so your stuff can be saved and retrieved to you and I didnt want to deal with the managing and security of holding emails and passwords.

hausbrewer.com

all you can do so far is login, add a recipe, click the recipe to go to steps and add it to fermentation. A lot of missing features but I guess its a start, I had to slap it together for a conceptual demo presentation today. My plan is to make the layout a little better then the others so even in the yet to be made 'expert mode' you can add calculations as you go.

Anyway would appreciate thoughts on features you guys would like to see and also will likely need some help down the line on setting up the equations to kick back valuable information from gravity readings and everything along the way.

If anyone is interested, like I said its open source. My tech stack mostly consists of Angular.js and Firebase.

anyway, I have rambled enough...

My concern is with the Facebook interface. It seems that Facebook is getting more and more invasive. I search one site and voila... there is now an add for what I looked at on Facebook.

My concern is with the Facebook interface. It seems that Facebook is getting more and more invasive. I search one site and voila... there is now an add for what I looked at on Facebook.

Im not sure if/what facebook pulls if anything(in relation to this app) but from my end all I am grabbing is a token so I can slap your recipes under your token. I can add other logins like twitter. I plan to add a custom login at some point but that would be one of those final touches, a long long long way away.. haha

when I set it up the facebook development package did make me choose a 'category' for my app. I think I just chose food and drink or something pretty basic. this is my first time playing with facebooks dev thing.

I know that you don't want to mess with authentication right now but when you decide to mess with it I will check it out. I don't do facebook, twitter, google+ or any of that other garbage.

I know that you don't want to mess with authentication right now but when you decide to mess with it I will check it out. I don't do facebook, twitter, google+ or any of that other garbage.

haha that was one of my concerns, I have been brewing for a little while but I was curious where most of the homebrew community is with social media. I actually somewhat pre-predicted that the facebook login could cause a miss on a portion of a user base.

it will have a landing page site when i get to it with screen shots, lol.

I'm interested in checking it out. Let us know when you have user-defined username/password authentication and I'll take a gander. I use social media like Facebook, but I do my best to never allow it to interact with other apps and I keep the security settings as tight as I can on it.

I'm looking forward to what you come up with. I've been a web applications engineer for about 15 years now. I'd love to do some brew-related apps sometime... just have to find the time.

what measurements would you all consider the most important and how familiar are you with what data needs to be called in to make these calculations?

I am interested in things like how much sugar can pull from grains can vary from grain to grain.

one of the first things I would like to tackle with some advanced calculations is the gravity readings and set it up so that based on your efficiency an ABV is created as you enter your recipe.

You do realize that one can control each login via the Facebook profile. Paranoia, in this case, is rather unwarranted.

The first thing I would work towards is finer control of recipe inputs. If the recipe calls for 8lbs 5oz's, those 5 ounces are important. Then hop timing (mash, FWH, 60, etc., etc. )

You do realize that one can control each login via the Facebook profile. Paranoia, in this case, is rather unwarranted.

The first thing I would work towards is finer control of recipe inputs. If the recipe calls for 8lbs 5oz's, those 5 ounces are important. Then hop timing (mash, FWH, 60, etc., etc. )

This is basically exactly what I was thinking for the starting point. This apps design was kinda just the 'demo day example'

was also considering letting 'pros' skip the step by step instruction if they wanted.

I can introduce the ingredients through the steps as well, I have to sort of redo how I did my firebase backend because I limited myself from the start by not planning ahead.

Really appreciate the feedback watermelon83 this is the direction I was starting with for sure. I will be posting updates here as I go through and make updates

Yeah. +1 on the ditching Facebook.

I've written some Facebook integrated login stuff in my time and I'd be happy to harvest your list of friends and likes, but I sure am not willing to let anyone have mine.

I'd be glad to take a look when it is no longer a requirement.

I'd check with HBT admin and see if there is an API so you could use your HBT creds to login.

Yeah. +1 on the ditching Facebook.

I've written some Facebook integrated login stuff in my time and I'd be happy to harvest your list of friends and likes, but I sure am not willing to let anyone have mine.

I'd be glad to take a look when it is no longer a requirement.

ummm, if it makes anyone more comfortable I dont have access to nearly what everyone seems to think I have access to.

All my server is grabbing is your name, main public photo address(that everyone can see), age range(just shows if over 21), and if you are male or female.

The only thing im harvesting is a token I am creating for my app so I know which recipes are yours. In order for the cloud to exist a login needs to happen and my easiest routes were facebook or twitter, I rolled facebook since I figured more people have that over twitter. (figure id go more into detail on this if it helps anyone).

I dont/cant see all of your likes or pretty much any of that stuff. Honestly I dont even think that is a capability from a developer account like mine.

native email is on the to do list, but it wont happen for a while lots of other interesting features to tackle first. Plus making that more secure is going to be way more difficult then me just letting firebase and facebook servers handle the security vs me doing it on my own server. Sounds suspect I guess, but this is way safer and more reliable.

oh man what a long post :drunk:

really liking some of these responses though, Im hoping to start pushing some of the stuff I have been adding to the release really soon to make the app a bit more useful. haha

I don't think anyone thinks the OP is going to harvest anyone's personal data. It's more that people hate that Facebook acts like a snoop on all of your browsing, even after you log out.

For anyone who wants to check out the app but doesn't want to get data raped by FB, create a throwaway FB account using a disposable email address on Google or Yahoo. The use FB in private or incognito mode so it doesn't grab the rest of your browsing traffic.

Back