So...... I brewed a IPA and...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCARYLARRY

Reaction score
Brewed a 4th batch last night and cracked open my first batch, which was a nut brown ale ( 2 weeks primary 1 week secondary and 2 weeks in the bottle) It was amazing, hell waiting that long though.

Anyways what I brewed was an IPA. The recipe called for 6oz of cascade for 60 min and ? oz for 5 min. I did the 60 min. and didn't add the finishing till the 60 min. mark and let it all go for an additional 15 min. Was trying to make it a bit hoppier. Will I succeed or did I screw up? What would be the negative or positive from doing this?

Also made a yeast starter for the first time and wow did that sucker take off!

you might have made it more bitter, not more hoppy. more alpha acids would be isomerized because you lengthened the time they were boiling.

you might lose some flavor/aroma from that second hop addition- most IPAs are late-hopped at knockout (when you take it off the heat) and dry-hopped

so, you might be less that amazed by the aroma, but you'll probably still be happy with the taste

6 oz. for 60 minutes? That's a ton of bittering hops, even for an IPA. How many ounces did you add total?

Ummmmm.

Assuming you're doing a partial boil extract, 6 ounces of Cascade for 60 minutes would put you well over 100-IBU's. That's on a 1.060 beer.

Where exactly did you get that recipe?

You are all a bunch of sissies. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 6 oz. hop addition at 60 minutes. :D :D

Did you add all 6 oz at 60 min? What was the recipe and what was the AA% of the cascades?

It is a brewers best IPA. It wasn't 6oz my bad, it was 2 0z of cascades at 6.75% and another 1oz at 3.5%

Assuming you're doing a partial boil extract, 6 ounces of Cascade for 60 minutes would put you well over 100-IBU's. That's on a 1.060 beer.

I did a five gallon boil had to add 3/4 of a gallon of water. I would love it if it hit that high, but it would probally be way out of balance.

Back